• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Tribe Aero Hunter Blake Hitch

akira7799

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I converted the Prusik Knot on the New Tribe Aero Hunter to a Blake hitch. I've attached to some photos for the conversion.

The websites I used to make the conversion are:
- Blake Hitch Sitehttp://www.animatedknots.com/blakes/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.j
- Carabiner Clove Hitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eS9ufdb9Pw

This is an overall shot of the Aero Hunter Blake Hitch Conversion:
14087689369_af8af669dd_b.jpg

This is a close-up of a the Blake's Hitch on the Lineman's Belt:
14272261942_ba7c6ed387_b.jpg

This is a photo of the the SMC carabiner tied with a clove hitch:
14087678268_a547de729d_b.jpg

Make sure when tying the Blake's Hitch that the carabiner "tail" (for lack of a better term, the long end with the carabiner attached) is running towards the lineman's belt stopper knot. If you tie the knot the wrong way, the Blake's Hitch knot won't grab like it's supposed to.

Hope this gives some of the "old" Aero Hunter users an idea how to convert from the Prusik knot (if they're interested).

Dave

Great post Dave! That should be helpful for anyone who is switching over.

Hope this gives some of the "old" Aero Hunter users an idea how to convert from the Prusik knot (if they're interested).

Hey! I don't feel old...

Then again..."I don't feel tardy..."

:D

"Aero" Joe

Guys,

I've posted this on the AT New Tribe Aero Hunter Thread as well. I just wanted to make sure I kept saddlehunter updated as well.

When I tested out the clove hitch carabiner knot along with the "new" Blake's hitch I realized that the old Prusik line setup with the Blake's hitch knot was too long and put the sliding knot on the opposite side of the tree. It seemed like a safety issue/convenience issue having the knot on the opposite side of the tree and I asked for advice from some of the prototype Evolution guys. Instead of waiting (no, I'm not impatient, why do you ask?) I retooled the carabiner knot.

After doing some research, I went with a figure 8 on a bight to for the carabiner's knot instead of the clove hitch. The figure 8 on a bight breaks at 75% to 80% of the rope's full strength instead of the clove hitch's 60% to 65% of the rope's full strength. Using the figure 8 on a bight also uses up some of the extra rope. The only downside is that the figure 8 is much hard to untie (if needed) after a significant load has been placed on it.

The figure 8 on a bight tying instructions are in the Aero Hunter instructions here: http://newtribe.com/documents/aero user guide 8-26-2013.pdf

You can also find figure 8 on a bight instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3XhyCBSu6Q

When I was in the tree the other night, the clove hitch worked well and did what it was supposed to (kept my alive and my a$$ off the ground), except for the fact that Blake's Hitch knot was on the opposite side of the tree due to all of the excess rope. Using the extra line in the figure 8 on a bight will (hopefully) cure that problem by using up a lot of that excess slack.

Hey! I don't feel old...

Then again..."I don't feel tardy..."

:D

"Aero" Joe

Joe, isn't "old" such a relative term? And to your "I don't feel tardy" reference...I wish I could've seen Van Halen in their hayday.

Great post Dave! That should be helpful for anyone who is switching over.

Thanks Scott. I'll keep this thread updated with any other adjustments I make.

I'm gonna try and get into a tree later this week with the "8 on a bight" update and I'll update the thread with photos and other ideas,
Dave

Thanks for keeping us updated over here Dave! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your method. I'm used to my tree saddle so I am going to have to try out the different knots when I get my new evolution. I'm anxiously awaiting the shipment :D

Dave,

Thanks for the knot info for all of us "old" guys... :lol:

And to your "I don't feel tardy" reference...I wish I could've seen Van Halen in their hayday

Saw them with all 3 singers...Dave, Sammy and (yikes) Gary. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years. EVH is a freak of nature and I am no where near his ability. But...betcha I can hunt better than him! :mrgreen:

Maybe your Aero name should be "Diamond Dave"! :lol:

Thanks again, sir!

"Aero" Joe

Back