• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New wanna be saddle hunter from Illinois

Phopkins

SH Member
Hello everyone, I'm Paul from Illinois. I've been wanting to saddle for a long time. Never could get comfortable. I bought an aero Kestrel last year, ordered stepps last week so I'll have time to figure this out by next season I hope.
This is a cool site. I am reading like crazy, the great ideas and complex problem solving many of you willing share is phenomenal.
I have hunted out of my Kestrel 5 times in the last 4 weeks, I've already learned a lot about the don'ts but from those experiences I can see I have a long way to go!

Welcome Paul, I'm in Springfield so not terribly far. @hairy chinch bug met up with me on Saturday and we had a great conversation about saddle hunting and the different techniques we use. He originally contacted me about wanting to learn about how I go about it and I learned more from him than he did me! If you ever want to meet up and talk saddles, let me know!

Reed

Welcome Paul, I'm in Springfield so not terribly far. @hairy chinch bug met up with me on Saturday and we had a great conversation about saddle hunting and the different techniques we use. He originally contacted me about wanting to learn about how I go about it and I learned more from him than he did me! If you ever want to meet up and talk saddles, let me know!

Reed

It's good to know there is someone not far away. I'm waiting on my WE Stepps as I mentioned. Thinking about getting a LW hand climber top section for a platform, then I'd use it as my climbing method on limbless trees and as platform when using the stepps. I'm trying not to start buying stuff right and left before I get a chance to try the stepps out.
I'd be interested in seeing how you're going about things.

Paul

I've been using modified Hawk Helium's the last couple of years and had finally decided to move onward from them. I looked heavily into WE steps. Almost purchased some but started reading up on SRT. One thing lead to another and decided to go that route. Loved the idea of preset locations and it just made sense for my style of hunting. I'm interested to hear how you like the steps though. Been some recent talk on only 3 steps and a 5 step aider getting 20+ feet up. Sounds scary enough for me lol. How many steps did you go with?

Hey Paul - Welcome! You and I are on the same pace; I've only sat a half dozen times or so. Every time I climb and sit in my fleece hammock I am reminded of how little I know. I even have a pic of me in a tree pointing down to my pack on the ground without a towline attached! @rakbowhunter was very helpful and is a great resource. We should all meet to review our complete climb and set up and help each other get better.

I'm interested in meeting up. I probably wouldn't have time til January is over. Where are you located?

I've been using modified Hawk Helium's the last couple of years and had finally decided to move onward from them. I looked heavily into WE steps. Almost purchased some but started reading up on SRT. One thing lead to another and decided to go that route. Loved the idea of preset locations and it just made sense for my style of hunting. I'm interested to hear how you like the steps though. Been some recent talk on only 3 steps and a 5 step aider getting 20+ feet up. Sounds scary enough for me lol. How many steps did you go with?
I ordered the 8 stepp kit. I'm trying to not go as high in the tree as I used to. Want to keep my shot angle less acute. I shoot trad and most shots are 15 and in. I'm not likely to be using a 5 step aider, I ordered WE's 1 atep aider with the stepps. Probably will attach a 2 step rope to the bottom, hoping 5 stepps gets me to 16'. I like the idea of the plywood platform slid into the last stepp. ,.........but sure would like to see the stepps before long to try it all out. I wish I had them now for the last 2 weeks, I have a piece of public that needs to be explored. I was a mile in there the other day with way to much gear, would love to cut the pack size and weight in half.

It's pretty funny how you can invision how it works in your head. Then you get out there to try it and it's much more difficult. What climbing system did you use prior? You shouldn't have any problems getting 16' with a serious gear and weight reduction. That's awesome you shoot trad. I thought about getting into it but haven't made the jump yet.

It's pretty funny how you can invision how it works in your head. Then you get out there to try it and it's much more difficult. What climbing system did you use prior? You shouldn't have any problems getting 16' with a serious gear and weight reduction. That's awesome you shoot trad. I thought about getting into it but haven't made the jump yet.
I've got some steel rapid rails, they're bulky and heavy. 2 with a rope step at the bottom, I get about 15' with a ratchet strap seat for a platform above them. It works, but isn't very packable.
I've been shooting traditional for a very long time. Been bow hunting for 45 years. I'd love to help you get started if you're interested. You'll just end up passing shots you would have taken with a compound. With a stick bow you truly have to have them within wolf distance to get a chance.

I've got some steel rapid rails, they're bulky and heavy. 2 with a rope step at the bottom, I get about 15' with a ratchet strap seat for a platform above them. It works, but isn't very packable.
I've been shooting traditional for a very long time. Been bow hunting for 45 years. I'd love to help you get started if you're interested. You'll just end up passing shots you would have taken with a compound. With a stick bow you truly have to have them within wolf distance to get a chance.

That would be great. I don't know anyone that has any trad experience so being able to discuss that would help a ton.

Hello Paul...I'm also Paul from Alton, IL. I too took to this the last week of December. Only I now have the SRT method, 5 muddy pro sticks, and tree gaffs to get up the tree. I plan on practicing as much as possible this spring and summer..if I don't have another surgery on my shoulder. Maybe all of us can meet up and do some practice climbing and such.

Back