• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newb for MN

Gamover06

I have been floating around for a while and cant wait to get hanging high.

I have been slowly building up to being a saddle hunter with out really knowing it. For years I have hunted from self made tree stands, graduated to ladderstands and then got fed up moving them by myself and sold them all and went mobile. I have been mobile for the last 2 years and cannot believe how many more deer encounters I have had. They never get used to me being in a tree because I rarely use the same tree. Current set up weights in at a cool 35 pounds. I know doesn't sound super mobile but it is. I use 3 hawk helium sticks (rope mod absolutely love them), Advanced Take Down stand (if you haven't seen them you can just hang the stem and then put the seat and platform on super simple and safe to hang. ) then my pack. I can get up a tree in about 10 to 15 min. As much as I love the set up it still has its draw backs: can be clumsy, doesn't work in every tree, its heavy (I know get a smaller stand but I love how easy it is to hang with just the stem) and it takes up a lot of room in the SUV.

I have watched some of g2outdoors videos and the saddle seemed like something interesting but not safe at first. This website has shown me differently it is safer and that is what I am most interested in. The weight savings is going to be awesome but it is more of a plus for me. I have a one year old and three year old at home and being more safe is what I am interested in. The mobility is going to be nice as well. Being able to hunt 80 plus % of the trees instead of....30 to 40% is going to be really nice.

I am an archery nut for a few years have been spending 2 to 3 hours a day on AT learning, hahah but also realizing there are a lot a jerks in the world. I love shooting, tuning, messing with arrow builds, working on form and more. I feel that we are taking an animals life and I should be more accurate then someone that just shoots paper....that being said I am not but I sure work my tail off to be. For the last 7 years the farthest I could shoot in my yard was 20 yards so that was my max I shot at deer and turkeys (I practiced at a buddies out to 50 but not often enough to kill animals ethically for me). We just built a new house and now I can get out to 60 so that's cool.

Got a Kestrel size 2 on order for x-mas. In a few days my new linesman and tether will be showing up Predator 9' with 5 inch hand made eyes and tight sewn eyes on the other end. I wanted more weight on the other end to toss the rope around the tree but not the extra bulk of a knot. Next I will sew pouches up for the saddle and then look at a platform (DIY or ring of steps hmmmmm most likely both).

If you actually read all that Thanks. Hahaha

Welcome, sounds like you've got a good head start! You should either start saving money or make sure you don't read any posts from @g2outdoors.

Back