• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie looking for some advise.

Champ198

I have been doing some reading, watching some You Tube and the Saddle setup looks like a really nice tool for hunting.
At this point I am still pretty new with all of it and looking to give it a try but not sure I want to invest $600+ into it just yet.
My thought at this point was to buy a Saddle, The one I was mainly looking at is the Menace from Tethrd.
Then the platform From Hawk.
I have a Linesman belt that came with my HSS harness.
I have Hawk Helium Sticks now also.

So with this would the only other thing I would need be a Tree Tether?

There are know quality issues with the Hawk platform. Maybe look around the classifieds for a used saddle and platform.

There are know quality issues with the Hawk platform. Maybe look around the classifieds for a used saddle and platform.
I’ve used a hawk full size platform for 3 seasons now and it’s held up great. That said, I take a lot closer look at it these days and will probably be replacing this coming season.
OP, I recommend finding that Hawk platform failure thread and checking it out. Shoddy workmanship on someone’s platform that failed when it was new. I have a bunch of Hawk stuff including my saddle and am pleased with all of it, especially my sticks. I’ve adjusted my platform angle a few times and have it just right.
I did just buy a new saddle from Buzzard Roost, so I need to sell my Hawk I guess.

Yes all you’re technically missing is a tree tether. Hunting from a saddle is an amazing hunting tool. I would recommend a larger platform like a predator xl or mission. They will definitely make the whole trial more comfortable so you can figure out which sticks, saddle, tethers, and platform work best for you. Lots of great guys on this site with tons of experience. Your set up will evolve every season. I switched from a mission to a predator platform last season and can hardly tell the difference in size. Just wait until you go down the never ending pack rabbit hole! Lol hope this helps.

Back