• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie making sit drag

Middleclasshunter

I have a million questions. How many people are just using sit drag with no rock climbing harness?

Can you use a regular treestand harness in combination with the sitdrag? Or Frankenstein it to work? Or would it not really help with safety of saddle?

Sewing machine recommendations? Anyone hand sew?

I want to start off using my muddy pro top step as part of platform. I am looking into other steps to supplement but everything is sold out.. any ideas? Public land so cant pierce

Trying to go minimal to make sure I like it. If I do I may sell my climber and lw assult

I suspect a significant number use the sit drag with no backup. However, this is not recommended as the sit drag is meant for ground level only.

Most people use a rock climbing harness with the sit drag rather than a tree stand harness because of the connection point differences. Most treestand harnesses connect into a tree strap above and behind you. The rock climbing harness allows you to connect to the same thether l, just lower on the rope.

Here is a video from DIY Sportsman from a while ago showing his setup for a rc harness and sit drag that should hopefully help illustrate.

You can use the top step for a platform, but it gets uncomfortable in my experience. I don't have any DIY platform experience, but you could look into a ring of steps as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I suspect a significant number use the sit drag with no backup. However, this is not recommended as the sit drag is meant for ground level only.

Most people use a rock climbing harness with the sit drag rather than a tree stand harness because of the connection point differences. Most treestand harnesses connect into a tree strap above and behind you. The rock climbing harness allows you to connect to the same thether l, just lower on the rope.

Here is a video from DIY Sportsman from a while ago showing his setup for a rc harness and sit drag that should hopefully help illustrate.

You can use the top step for a platform, but it gets uncomfortable in my experience. I don't have any DIY platform experience, but you could look into a ring of steps as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info! I have seen the DIY sportsman video just so many variables I've seen.

I have a million questions. How many people are just using sit drag with no rock climbing harness?

Can you use a regular treestand harness in combination with the sitdrag? Or Frankenstein it to work? Or would it not really help with safety of saddle?

Sewing machine recommendations? Anyone hand sew?

I want to start off using my muddy pro top step as part of platform. I am looking into other steps to supplement but everything is sold out.. any ideas? Public land so cant pierce

Trying to go minimal to make sure I like it. If I do I may sell my climber and lw assult
Yes I would say it’s a 50/50 split between user/ non RCH users (not recommended as stated)

Yes it’s my second favorite setup using a sit drag with a regular tree stand harness that has linesman loops. I cut the strap off the back and use the linesman loops
My preferred method is a linesman belt inside a battle belt. Erniepower used to make them. DanO is about to offer them in his website. I put the linesman in the biner with my bridge on my sit drag.
BTW fleece is cheaper and probably more comfortable for a saddle if your trying to go the cheapest route.

Cannot help with a sewing machine. I have a local upholstery shop sew mine. (Co workers father n law)

You can buy steps from DanO I don’t think he’s sold out. If he is he usually makes them quickly. If you have a local machine shop you can make some nice ones from some 3/8” x 4” aluminum angle.

I carry a piece of 2X2 hard wood I put behind the top step on my stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I would say it’s a 50/50 split between user/ non RCH users (not recommended as stated)

Yes it’s my second favorite setup using a sit drag with a regular tree stand harness that has linesman loops. I cut the strap off the back and use the linesman loops
My preferred method is a linesman belt inside a battle belt. Erniepower used to make them. DanO is about to offer them in his website. I put the linesman in the biner with my bridge on my sit drag.
BTW fleece is cheaper and probably more comfortable for a saddle if your trying to go the cheapest route.

Cannot help with a sewing machine. I have a local upholstery shop sew mine. (Co workers father n law)

You can buy steps from DanO I don’t think he’s sold out. If he is he usually makes them quickly. If you have a local machine shop you can make some nice ones from some 3/8” x 4” aluminum angle.

I carry a piece of 2X2 hard wood I put behind the top step on my stock

Fleece? As webbing? I like the sit drag cause it seems I have to do little sewing.

Do you have a pic and price of steps? And you hardwood platform? Lots of pieces to this puzzle lol

I appreciate the info!

Search fleece saddle
I cannot get to my gear it’s all in storage. When I carry my sticks and no steps a airy the stick and put it on the standoffs behind the step. Just put your stick on the tree and put a 18” 2x2 on the top stand-off you’ll get the picture.

Search fleece saddle
I cannot get to my gear it’s all in storage. When I carry my sticks and no steps a airy the stick and put it on the standoffs behind the step. Just put your stick on the tree and put a 18” 2x2 on the top stand-off you’ll get the picture.

I just watched that video. I think I'm going to have to try the fleece as well. I think my best best is to get a cheap RCH especially if I do the fleece

I fell out of a Sit Drag! DO NOT USE IT ALONE. Use a climbing harness with the SD on your body. Once at height place a bridge for SD and clip in. That way you have two safety lines. There is a DIY hunter that added a fleece back rest and seat cover to his SD and that looks like a good way to go.

I fell out of a Sit Drag! DO NOT USE IT ALONE. Use a climbing harness with the SD on your body. Once at height place a bridge for SD and clip in. That way you have two safety lines. There is a DIY hunter that added a fleece back rest and seat cover to his SD and that looks like a good way to go.
I've got a 5 pack Wild Edge Stepp unused with aider/Knaider if you are interested ...
Sorry to hear you fell! Did you get hurt? PM me the pricing I'm interested

I've got a 5 pack Wild Edge Stepp unused with aider/Knaider if you are interested ...

Please share with the group. We would like to understand how you fell so others can learn from your experience.
Sitdrag broke? Slid out? Raised up to reposition and it fell to your knees and you didn’t notice and went to sit down and fell?

I'm going to have to disagree a little with @ImThere. I think the number of people using the sitdrag without a harness is a lot smaller then the number of people that use a harness. I know of several people on here that dont use a harness but, most of them I know about are experienced saddle hunters and made the decision to go without a harness after using the sit drag for a while. I strongly recommend that a new saddle Hunter use a harness with a sitdrag. It only takes one lapse in concentration from a new saddle Hunter for things to turn bad quickly.

Back