• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie question on aiders

Recurve6

So …. I have added my Ropeman ascenders... game changer - for all you other new folks don't climb without one..... its that much easier... but I'm looking to get to about 12 feet - just not comfortable much higher. Rather use cover and the tree as a blind than try to go too high.. plus I like the angles better for my longbow!

Right now with a little loop of climbing rope added to bottom LW stick I am 6 feet with one stick. Do the store bought aiders work easier coming down? My little loop of rope is not easy to find or get my foot through as I climb down. I have no experience with "real" aiders - I don't mind the money to buy a good one - much better than another stick to carry - but not sure if its worth it.

Thanks!

Pat

If you're looking at store bought aiders i can tell you to not buy this one:

The loop is too small for your boot to find the opening easily

Chasing Tales Outdoors has a video with him climbing with a 5 step aider and in hindsight i should've gone with that:

He links to the product in the video description:

If it were me I'd get one that made it so i only had two rungs beneath the stick like i do with my other aider but do what you feel is comfortable for you.

So …. I have added my Ropeman ascenders... game changer - for all you other new folks don't climb without one..... its that much easier... but I'm looking to get to about 12 feet - just not comfortable much higher. Rather use cover and the tree as a blind than try to go too high.. plus I like the angles better for my longbow!

Right now with a little loop of climbing rope added to bottom LW stick I am 6 feet with one stick. Do the store bought aiders work easier coming down? My little loop of rope is not easy to find or get my foot through as I climb down. I have no experience with "real" aiders - I don't mind the money to buy a good one - much better than another stick to carry - but not sure if its worth it.

Thanks!

Pat
You can make yourself some pretty easy. Lots of tutorials on YouTube. I've messed with a few designs, what I eventually settled on was rope and irrigation hose.

Back