• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

newer member from central il

swampbilly

Mar 3, 2019
I've been lurking around the forum reading and learning and trying to make up my mind on if I wanna try saddle hunting. I've finally decided to take the plunge. Going to place an order for a mantis and the whole rest of the whole shebang from tethrd. Anyone have any insight on how the sitka heavy fanatic bibs fit under the mantis. I wear a L didnt know if I should size up on the saddle. Thanks in advance for any comments and glad to be a part of such an active forum with so many awesome members

Homebrew454

Oct 17, 2017
Wisconsin
Welcome from SE Wisconsin. I wore Sitka fantatic bibs with the mantis this last fall. They worked fine together and I used the SBW from tethrd when it got cold. All I needed was medium weight ECWCS for a bottom layer, pants, and then my bibs. I hunted in NE Wisconsin with no issues.

I had the large and I'm 6 feet 210lbs with a 35 inch waist and bought the large. I primarily leaned (95% of the time I estimate) and was comfy. If I was a sitter, I would go with the XL .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rakbowhunter

Aug 2, 2018
Springfield Illinois
Welcome to the forum! What's parts of central Illinois? I'm located in Springfield but have family in Effingham area. I was wearing the fanatic with a med mantis with no issues. I have since sold the mantis and bought a Kestrel.

Newhunter1

SH Member
Dec 20, 2018
I had the mantis, sold it to get the kestrel and sold that to get the flex. However to answer you question I had the mantis with the First Lite Sanctuary bibs and jacket. XL and I'm 190 and 5'4".

Phopkins

SH Member
Dec 8, 2018
Metamora, IL
We're close. I've got a Kestrel size 1, Wild Edge steps, a lone wolf hand climber seat, etc. Let me know if you want to try any of it out.
It's nice to actually try some of this stuff before you buy it. I've got plenty of trees we can climb. Don't hesitate, I'm more than happy to help out.
Paul

Newhunter1

SH Member
Dec 20, 2018
@Phopkins Paul is a great guy and a great resource! He was kind enough to let me come over to talk saddle earlier this year.

Ditto on Paul being a great guy to ask questions.

Wait, my name is Paul too...oh...you weren't talking about me. Seriously...Paul's (Phopkins) is a great person to gather information.

Reactions: rakbowhunter

swampbilly

Mar 3, 2019
Thanks everyone. I went ahead and ordered a mantis since sounds like it will b a while till I will get it and didnt wanna not have it by the opener. Phopkins might still take u up on the offer to check out ur set up so the saddle isn't so foriegn to me when I finally do get it

Phopkins

SH Member
Dec 8, 2018
Metamora, IL
I'd be happy to show you my gear, let you try it out. Right now I've been climbing with 4 Wild Edge stepps and a knaider/swaider. It's pretty slick but getting the steps right is absolutely essential. I was climbing a slight leaner last night and the step tipped a little, I was using my tether instead of linemans belt so got caught between hanging from tether and the swaider, took me a minute to get untangled.
PM me if you're ready to come over and check this stuff out.