• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Night Ize Gear Ties - securing your gear

drew13

I don't recall this being mentioned and wanted to share... I've been using these Night Ize Gear Ties which are essentially rubber-coated, heavy duty twist ties for securing gear and they've been working out great so far. You can find them all over the place - amazon, HD, etc:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/night%2520iz ... tie?NCNI-5

I don't like stacking and unstacking my lone wolf climbing sticks - too noisy and a pain-in-the-butt. I carry two sticks and wanted to secure them to either side of my backpack and these gear ties seem to work great. There is no exposed metal on them to clink and clank, they grip and hold well, and they are quiet and easy to fasten and unfasten. I use the 18" ones for this. I have loops on my pack that I put the gear tie through then wrap it tight around a stick and twist it down.

I am also going to try these gear ties for holding the ameristep steps of my platform together while carrying and installing. This should prevent them from clacking against each other (if it works). Haven't tried it yet but I think it will work.

Hope this helps someone out. Good luck.
-Drew

Nice idea! For about $2 you could add one of these to your pull-up rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice these look great! Might have to pick some up. Right now i'm just big game brand paracord pull ropes. They have a small caribineer that has a rubberized coating on it so it's pretty quiet. I tied off a loop on the rope about 12" above the biner so I just thread the biner through my riser and attach it to the loop so that way there is little metal-on-metal.

I love these things. I have a handful of them, the uses are endless!

I am using one to hold my rope in place on my MOLLE frame. When I used climbing sticks I used these to hold them to my pack.

Ive seen these but never tried them. This is my first yr back in the saddle, so will be looking at new methods. With my lw alpha and 4 sticks, i used whats called a raptor strap. Sadly they are out of biz but they were a rubber strap/bungee with no metal. Tip was pointed and body of strap had slots. Best strap ive ever used!
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdi7-o-Ijuw[/youtube]

I've been using the nite-ize twist ties on my pull rope for two seasons now. I love them.

I have a couple of the large 10 inch ones that I haven't used yet. I think I'll re-look at how to incorporate them into my pack.

I picked up a couple while I was at home depot last night to make a pull rope with. When I saw them I realized I already have a couple that I have a light hanging on in the garage. They definitely work great!

I threw two of the long ties in my pack last night for a quick hunt. I used the hell out of them! I was in a tree with three trunks so I wrapped one of the ties around the back trunk and hung my pack to keep it out of my way. Such a good thing to keep in the pack for who knows what. Thanks for reminding me that I had these!

g2outdoors said:
I threw two of the long ties in my pack last night for a quick hunt. I used the hell out of them! I was in a tree with three trunks so I wrapped one of the ties around the back trunk and hung my pack to keep it out of my way. Such a good thing to keep in the pack for who knows what. Thanks for reminding me that I had these!
That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?!...

I use the hell out of these things. I put a six" on my pull up rope and the long ones I use for attaching my sticks to my Alpha or when I'm saddle hunting I starp my clothes to my sticks. THey have endless uses. I use my bike not only to get around to spots but as a deer cart. I'll put the body cavity over the seat and strap the head to the handle bars. I used one to tie the deers head down.

Put this together this morning before work
1a41fdcb7538cb03d2f1ec01934aec3a.jpg

Get rid of the "s" carabiner and replace it with a 6" gear tie. The 6" gear tie pulls double duty and will replace the carabiner and your current gear tie. Use it to wrap the rope securely and as the attachment point to your bow. #Winning

Also, here's a tip for wrapping your rope I learned from rigging tarp lines on my hammock setup. Always wrap your rope in a figure 8 around your thumb and pinkie finger. The rope will NEVER get tangled. Test it and you'll see that it works.

g2outdoors said:
Get rid of the "s" carabiner and replace it with a 6" gear tie. The 6" gear tie pulls double duty and will replace the carabiner and your current gear tie. Use it to wrap the rope securely and as the attachment point to your bow. #Winning

Also, here's a tip for wrapping your rope I learned from rigging tarp lines on my hammock setup. Always wrap your rope in a figure 8 around your thumb and pinkie finger. The rope will NEVER get tangled. Test it and you'll see that it works.

The figure 8 is key

g2outdoors said:

Just wanted to say I picked up the small(12"?) 2 per pack night ize and 30ft of orange parachord. I hate parachord for bow/utility rope, but after reading the figure 8 method of wrapping, I went for it. Your trick worked great, no tangles or very few. I kept the S clip as shown in a pic above, works great for hooking to my belt. I always use camo rope and after I lower my bow I drop the line. Its always a pain to find the end or pick it up after I hit the ground, as Im usually stepping on part of it or its tangle around something. The bright orange eliminates the hard time seeing it and since I figure 8 it and put in in my pocket, the color doesnt affect my hunt.

Whoops, forgot to reply to this!

I do like that little s clip. Its so lightweight, it doesn't really make a noise if it hits something cause its so light, and its nice for clipping my line to my pack once I'm in the tree. I probably could switch the gear tie to a smaller one but I didn't know that when I bought it so I can pick one up next time I'm at the depot. You can't tell in the picture but the way I have it wrapped up is the same concept as the figure 8 where you wrap it one way then the other. Thanks for bringing up the figure 8 though because that is easier and I'll use that :D

Awesome. Glad it's working out for you. I never really considered un-clipping the line from my saddle. I'm afraid I'd forget the rope somehow.

Back