• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Night of malfunctions

iamcorey

Got to the tree. Attached my knaider and went to adjust it. The plastic slider broke. I have an extra heavy duty one I ordered from DanO so I’ll have to repair. It was a big surprise since I wasn’t putting any weird pressure on it. Better on the ground than while climbing.

Second I went to move around the tree in my ROS and my distel started sliding down my tether. I had it loaded for a solid hour before making the move around the tree. Luckily it was a big coon coming up in my 6, but I was still puzzled. Any suggestions? 4 wraps instead of 3? 6mm TRC and oplux tether.

Didn’t even try my first Rappel after all that.

fe36ba16dcf2eddc68fd0fac80abc482.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I believe the distel hitch is meant to slide easier than a standard prusik. Is it worth it to make it more complicated than it has to be? I decided it wasn't for me.

I had the strap on my hand muff rip completely off on one side (did an emergency repair with some paracord) and a "wardrobe malfunction" with my UA cold weather bibs (2 teeth on the zipper came out, zipper came apart). Somehow got that back together. Sucks when stuff breaks, glad I can fix on the fly.

I do a 4 over 1 distal hitch but it locks up like a Prusik. Wo t adjust one handed with a tender, at least not to move it up. Sucks.

I do a 4 over 1 distal hitch but it locks up like a Prusik. Wo t adjust one handed with a tender, at least not to move it up. Sucks.

Grab your distel and slide it down 1/4 inch just prior to adjusting it back upward with a tender. You'll be surprised.

I do a 5 over 1 distel to keep it's overall length as short as possible and it is still easy to adjust either way.

Yeah that sucks when things go wrong when all we want to do is hunt but look on the bright side and be thankful the slider didn't break during your climb. Could have been quite a scare at the least or worse led to an injury. Glad you made out ok.

I hope you have practiced your rappel technique and are comfortable with it. Remember to double check all your rigging before untethering. A few extra seconds is well worth your safety.
Good luck and be safe!

Got to the tree. Attached my knaider and went to adjust it. The plastic slider broke. I have an extra heavy duty one I ordered from DanO so I’ll have to repair. It was a big surprise since I wasn’t putting any weird pressure on it. Better on the ground than while climbing.

Second I went to move around the tree in my ROS and my distel started sliding down my tether. I had it loaded for a solid hour before making the move around the tree. Luckily it was a big coon coming up in my 6, but I was still puzzled. Any suggestions? 4 wraps instead of 3? 6mm TRC and oplux tether.

Didn’t even try my first Rappel after all that.

fe36ba16dcf2eddc68fd0fac80abc482.jpg

My knaider broke as well. Took it all off and replaced with a g hook. Like it much better than the buckle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the same thing happen with my distal yesterday as well. I was using a 3 over one and when I would put full load (sitting) it slipped. Last night I retied it as a 4 over 1, hoping this solves my issue.

@Red Beard , thanks for the tip about moving the hitch down a bit before trying to move it back up.

Back