• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

NO BUCKLE strap tie.... question, need help.

eightwgt

Guys- There are a couple videos showing DIFFERENT wanys to do the no buckle strap method. Which is best ? If it matters I have the Hawk Helium sticks- not modified.

Only backyard experience here, but I thought I was tying it the way @Nutterbuster shows and turns out I had it different. still worked though. So basically there several way to skin this cat.

I am tempted to go back to this method and if I did I would use Nutter's method. I like that it goes under the post on the first pass and that there is a second cinch. I would finish with a half hitch or something.

Guys- There are a couple videos showing DIFFERENT wanys to do the no buckle strap method. Which is best ? If it matters I have the Hawk Helium sticks- not modified.

Check out DIY sportsman on YT. Hes pretty sharp and usually his info is spot on. He does the rope mod.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

the method i use is very much like the nutterbuster method. i have been practicing with it since july, and i have a few hunts using it as my attachment method for my hawk helium sticks. i'm using the standard straps that came with the heliums, minus the buckle.

the method i use is very much like the nutterbuster method. i have been practicing with it since july, and i have a few hunts using it as my attachment method for my hawk helium sticks. i'm using the standard straps that came with the heliums, minus the buckle.
Have you encountered any hunts where the Hawk strap come up short?

I have not yet, however, i've come close. those were on trees bigger than i'd like to climb, but sometimes you have to use the best tree available. i'm not sure what size trees you are encountering most, but i have been OK so far. i'd say the tree i was in last night was the closest i've come to being short on strap. I had about 10 inches of strap left. that tree was a little bigger around than a 5 gallon bucket, if i had to guess.

LWCG should of put double steps on these bad boys they would of probably sold more. If you look at the step it can be spliced in half and been added more material where it needed for double step. Rant over

I just got some of DanO's climbing rated daisy chain for my modified Hawk Heliums.
I put one loop around the versa button and then used this mod to climb. Worked well. Does anyone for see any safety issues with it? I figure as long as the knot is tight you're good to go.

I just got some of DanO's climbing rated daisy chain for my modified Hawk Heliums.
I put one loop around the versa button and then used this mod to climb. Worked well. Does anyone for see any safety issues with it? I figure as long as the knot is tight you're good to go.

Make sure to use the second to last loop. Just in case.

Other than that the strap should work well for this mod.

Make sure to use the second to last loop. Just in case.

Other than that the strap should work well for this mod.
Good idea. I will test everything out again in the next couple of days. Im pretty pumped to finally have a setup that is working well

I use nutters method with Versa straps on my helium’s.

Locks down solid, wrap left over strap around tree and bungee to button.

The method you use will most likely depend on the type of strap and how thick it is. With typical 1" webbing one wrap behind the strap and around the versa button is usually sufficient and holds well. Tie an overhand in it just to keep it in place. With thinner straps like a versa strap they usually require a double wrap. So you go under the versa button, behind the strap, over the versa button, behind the strap, and repeat once more. Just make sure your cinching it tight each time and watch the strap squeeze in there.

I am not a small man (6'3", 270) and have used Nuttbusters method, adding a few half hitches for good measure, with the original straps (without the buckles) on my Muddy sticks. zero mishaps. I considered going with Amsteel, but only for weight. I HATE the sound of metal on metal now!!

Back