• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No love for us SitDrag guys?

ctbreitwieser

It's obvious this whole saddle hunting thing is growing quick. With many new guys (like myself) just trying to get our feet wet, it's hard to make a decision on a first setup when our options are, spend $200+, or buy a $35 SitDrag and learn how to use a speedy stitcher.

Something I would love to see come to the market, would be a modded SitDrag, straight from the factory. Something like a padded molle belt with lineman loops built in. Sell them for around $50-60. They'd sell like hotcakes for beginners.

I'm picturing an offspring of a sitdrag and this..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190110-092304.png
    Screenshot_20190110-092304.png
    592.3 KB · Views: 110
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a sit drag - I did for 2 seasons. If needed, I would not hesitate to pull them out and use them again.

It's obvious this whole saddle hunting thing is growing quick. With many new guys (like myself) just trying to get our feet wet, it's hard to make a decision on a first setup when our options are, spend $200+, or buy a $35 SitDrag and learn how to use a speedy stitcher.

Something I would love to see come to the market, would be a modded SitDrag, straight from the factory. Something like a padded molle belt with lineman loops built in. Sell them for around $50-60. They'd sell like hotcakes for beginners.

I'm picturing an offspring of a sitdrag and this..

The problem with putting linesman loops on a sitdrag or belt is that they are in no way rated for a fall. Worst case if you buy a saddle and hate it, you can sell it for a $20-50 loss pretty easily.

I'm afraid that if a modded production SitDrag was produced, it would not be in the $50 range. The great thing about the Sitdrag is the DIY aspect. It's a cheap base to start from, but requires a little time and effort to make it work for you. As much as I want to see success of Tetherd, and all the other saddle product producing companies, I'm satisfied with my SitDrag. It gets the job done, it's safe and it was inexpensive. I killed 3 deer this season with a DIY modded SitDrag, Primal steps and a DIY insert platform. I have about $150 total (maybe less) in my system, that is success in my book.

Liability insurance, testing, etc for life support rates equipment is expensive, and volume is not huge. You end up as a mantis competitor I think.

The problem with putting linesman loops on a sitdrag or belt is that they are in no way rated for a fall. Worst case if you buy a saddle and hate it, you can sell it for a $20-50 loss pretty easily.

A person would still need to wear a RCH with it, it would just already have a full panel of MOLLE on the back, waist belt, padded inside, and loops on the side to attach the bridge and lineman's belt.

If condor can make and sell a padded MOLLE belt for $20, I seen no reason why someone couldn't do it for under $100. I'd buy it for sure, because I love the SitDrag. I like that I can wear my RCH under my rain gear if necessary, and can adjust it up or down depending on if I'm sitting or leaning.

A person would still need to wear a RCH with it, it would just already have a full panel of MOLLE on the back, waist belt, padded inside, and loops on the side to attach the bridge and lineman's belt.

If condor can make and sell a padded MOLLE belt for $20, I seen no reason why someone couldn't do it for under $100. I'd buy it for sure, because I love the SitDrag. I like that I can wear my RCH under my rain gear if necessary, and can adjust it up or down depending on if I'm sitting or leaning.
Still, lineman loops mean rating for that use.

I understand, but nobody should be hooking a linesman's belt to the sitdrag, it should hook to your harness.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Sit drag lover here. It’s just I’ve move on to something more comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand, but nobody should be hooking a linesman's belt to the sitdrag, it should hook to your harness.

My lineman's belt is attached through the loops on my SitDrag. I don't know of many, if any, RCH that have linesman's loops.

Not trying to argue with anyone, but the SitDrag is rated at 400lbs and can easily support 100% of my body weight in it while hanging from the tether, so I see no reason why a lineman's belt would be a risk. If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe a lineman's belt is desinged to be fall protection anyways, so why would it need to be rated any higher? Legitimate question, not being a wise guy.

My lineman's belt is attached through the loops on my SitDrag. I don't know of many, if any, RCH that have linesman's loops.

Not trying to argue with anyone, but the SitDrag is rated at 400lbs and can easily support 100% of my body weight in it while hanging from the tether, so I see no reason why a lineman's belt would be a risk. If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe a lineman's belt is desinged to be fall protection anyways, so why would it need to be rated any higher? Legitimate question, not being a wise guy.

You can girth hitch some climbing rated loops to a harness and zip tie them so they don't come loose.

Now for the safety of linesman's loops.... Some people don't believe that they will save you because they've seen some videos of people sliding down telephone poles.
1. sliding down a pole is way better than falling backwards onto your head.
2. There are usually branches to stop you, if not, sticks will help.
3. You fall a couple feet and your rope catches, a 400lb rating ain't stopping a 150lb guy any faster than wet toilet paper.

That's how I feel about it, and so do the experts, that's why real linesman's loops have a fall rating.

basically, because nobody is going to market something to be used at an elevated position unless it is rated for much higher weight than that and no insurance company is going to provide liability insurance for something to be used at an elevated position unless it is rated for a much higher weight than that

How different from a rated sitdrag is the mantis anyway? It's a minimal saddle with the necessary safety upgrades to be commercially viable.

I climb with a lineman’s belt hooked to my SitDrag. My sit drag has a belt sewn to it so it doesn’t move during the climb. Then I hook my tether into the same SitDrag loops and disconnect the lineman’s belt

How different from a rated sitdrag is the mantis anyway? It's a minimal saddle with the necessary safety upgrades to be commercially viable.
Who knows what type of webbing they use, there can be thousands of lbs of rating difference with the same width depending on material. No rated belt or bridge... probably don't have the sewing necessary for fall protection either. It's $200 for the one thing that will keep you from dying while up there :) explain that to your wife and she'll be on board.

I climb with a lineman’s belt hooked to my SitDrag. My sit drag has a belt sewn to it so it doesn’t move during the climb. Then I hook my tether into the same SitDrag loops and disconnect the lineman’s belt
See my last post, you guys scare me.

Who knows what type of webbing they use, there can be thousands of lbs of rating difference with the same width depending on material. No rated belt or bridge... probably don't have the sewing necessary for fall protection either. It's $200 for the one thing that will keep you from dying while up there :) explain that to your wife and she'll be on board.

I think you misunderstand...

I'm saying that the mantis *is* what you get when you take the sitdrag saddle concept and make it commercially viable. Materials changes, price, etc. Included. What the sitdrag guys got was an entire company started to provide a commercial product for the "sitdrag guys".

I’m not recommending my method, to anyone. I know what safely works for me with a lot of ground level testing. It is safe(for me), and I’ve proved it to my self and my wife with several low level mishaps and slips. Some even purposeful. As I said it works for me! Sorry it scares you! But I’m anchored to that tree from bottom to hunting height. I’ve just let go at 5 ft to see if I would slide down the tree, I went about 1’ and rolled my family jewels into an unusable state but my lineman’s belt held me tightly to that tree

I think you misunderstand...

I'm saying that the mantis *is* what you get when you take the sitdrag saddle concept and make it commercially viable. Materials changes, price, etc. Included. What the sitdrag guys got was an entire company started to provide a commercial product for the "sitdrag guys".
Sorry, thought you were trying to defend climbing up a tree with just a sitdrag

Back