• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No Stick with Platform

jcoenen

As someone without a platform would something like this work with a predator or ridge runner platform?

Last edited:
I've done this with my diy xop platform. It was difficult to get onto the platform. Ive done it with a solo scout aka red beard. For a fold up platform, the key is locking the platform in the up position. If its not in the up position, it sticks out to far from the tree.

Whenever i see these types of videos it strikes me as more difficult than the effort required to carry in 5 pounds of EZY climb rope steps or 7.5 pounds worth of sticks to get me 20+ foot up and down the tree, often in the dark.

Thats bad ass way to climb but just wouldnt work for me. Id be soaked by the second move. Then about an hour in id be freezing.
be careful with these methods especially in the dark. One slip could be a disaster.
especially on what looks like the family jewels on the harness

Whenever i see these types of videos it strikes me as more difficult than the effort required to carry in 5 pounds of EZY climb rope steps or 7.5 pounds worth of sticks to get me 20+ foot up and down the tree, often in the dark.
I used to think that way, too. I tried one-sticking a couple of different times and was uncomfortable with my saddle riding up when my feet were not on any steps, so I fought the saddle and the tree and gravity to stay in position and I was a hot, sweaty, uncomfortable mess.

The breakthrough for me was using a 2-panel saddle with an adjustable bridge. With a 2-panel saddle and the bridge shortened, the bottom panel stays in place under your butt and I can just hang from it comfortably with no foot support. Then you can just sit and relax and move your stick or platform up the tree without struggling. Don't fight it, just make your moves. No sweat.

I've been using this method this season with either a 10" mini-stick with a cam cleat and 3 step aider or the Solo Scout platform with aider. The mini-stick with cam cleat is faster and easier to attach and detach, but using the Solo Scout is not much harder and you get the climbing method and platform all in one. I prefer a ROS so I put a couple of slotted squirrel steps on the strap for the Solo Scout when I set it at hunting height. Loving this as a mobile system as I don't like carrying a bunch of climbing sticks that get caught on branches while sneaking in and I didn't like the EZY climb rope steps when I used them. To each his own, but give it a try.

This video the guy is using a rch, no saddle position issues. Ive climbed with just a belt saddle and it was a bit unerving. I tried hanging from just my rch and way less stress and effort.

Back