• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No sticks, no throwball, no slack

John RB

I have spent a lot of time making improvements to the JRB Hitch Climbing System and Method. The use of a telescoping pole and the Running JRB Hitch are enabling me to get over 25 feet with just one move/ transfer, in less than 10 minutes. Zero slack, and 100% tie in. And there's no cheaper system given that you build it with cord, rope and beaners. I realize it's not for everyone and that's fine. But I also want to provoke some thought for all of the stick climbers who are not tied in until they get to height. Remember: A lineman's belt won't reliably prevent a fall or injury, but a no slack tie in will. It's not rocket science to borrow some of the ideas here and put em in your stick climbing setup. Just tie in. At the end of the day, our safety is the most important part of the hunt. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

How does the JRB ascender with 2x water knot foot loop compare to the garda hitch style?

Thanks for sharing all of these efforts John. I really appreciate you doing that.

I've noticed that in the last couple videos you've stuck with the longer, heavier pole compared to that collapsible walking stick you used in earlier videos. Fair to say the weight/bulk tradeof is worth it in your opinion?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

How does the JRB ascender with 2x water knot foot loop compare to the garda hitch style?
The Garda Hitch is more smooth and effortless to move up than the friction hitch. But its a close comparison if there is a carabiner on the end of a JRB Ascender. Here, I removed it and so, I have a little more effort to move the hitch. The hitch is also is a bit more sensitive to diameter. For example, moving a 6mm cord on 8mm rope takes a little more effort than moving an 8mm cord on 11mm rope.

Thanks for sharing all of these efforts John. I really appreciate you doing that.

I've noticed that in the last couple videos you've stuck with the longer, heavier pole compared to that collapsible walking stick you used in earlier videos. Fair to say the weight/bulk tradeof is worth it in your opinion?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
First, thank you. As for the bigger pole, generally speaking, yes. For me personally, I doubt I will use the big pole much on real hunts. I might use it to get a tree set up in preseason, or the first time I climb a tree. But generally speaking, if I pick out a tree, I am going to want to climb it more than once, and will want to leave a paracord preset or a false crotch (or both) to climb it the next time. And don't forget that I can execute hitch climbs with no pole at all using the conventional JRB (doubled rope) system. And I can always hack off a small forked branch and use it as my pole if I find myself needing to hitch climb unexpectedly. In fact, this is basically my current focus: deciding what is my optimal single system. As you are likely aware, the friction hitches face the opposite direction in the JRB Climbing System vs the Hitch Climbing System. And so I am trying to decide on the best and most versatile single system. There are some tradeoffs. I am doing a lot of thinking about this....

Back