• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Non Camo clothes that are quiet, warm, and dry?

BCHunter

Vendor Rep
I feel like the only reason I buy camo is because most warm/dry clothing is super loud unless it's from a hunting company. I've got to believe that these other giant outdoor companies can make gear that's lighter, warmer, and all around better since they are for a bigger market. I just don't want to compromise on how quiet it is.

Does anyone know of any winter clothes that would be on the level of Sitka Fanatic? River's West for quiet rain gear?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

It won’t help the search. But I like wearing camo in casual urban settings. The ladies look at you like a real man! Until a hipster walks in wearing camo. Then you realize it wasn’t as good of an idea as you thought.
Haha, I just talk about hunting too much, don't know if my wife would tolerate the camo too.

Good question. I have searched around myself and end up wearing Wrangler work pants for hunting pants most of the time. Doesn't get super cold down here but on occasion it would be nice to have some warmer clothes without having to spend the exorbitant amount of money that good hunting clothes required for purchase. I myself don't care about camo that much when I'm 20 feet in a tree, and my hip boots only come in solid green.

North Face has stretchy gore tex rain jackets that are quieter than most because of the expanding weave exterior. Try to find one and try it out.

Other than exterior items, most of my base/mid layers/socks/gloves are from non-hunting companies because it is usually better made and goes on sale more regularly.

Also, half the hunting companies that use Gore Tex actually use Pac Lite type, which is the crappiest, but they don't tell you that (that's what Sitka uses mostly). For the same price as a camo gore tex pac lite jacket, you can get 3 layer gore tex pro shell jacket from a non hunting company if you watch sales (the 3 layer pro is way better).

North Face has stretchy gore tex rain jackets that are quieter than most because of the expanding weave exterior. Try to find one and try it out.
Do you know what the model is?

Good question. I have searched around myself and end up wearing Wrangler work pants for hunting pants most of the time. Doesn't get super cold down here but on occasion it would be nice to have some warmer clothes without having to spend the exorbitant amount of money that good hunting clothes required for purchase. I myself don't care about camo that much when I'm 20 feet in a tree, and my hip boots only come in solid green.

inwas about to say - you could wear jorts and no one would be the wiser...solid green hip boots for life!

Until a hipster walks in wearing camo. Then you realize it wasn’t as good of an idea as you thought.
Probably the main reason you'll rarely see me wearing camo (and definitely not hunter orange) anything outside of a woodland setting. I am a hunter, its in my blood and deeply rooted in who I am. I don't feel the need to advertise it by wearing the "cool" accouterments around town. I'm an old married guy so it doesn't matter me to me but I'm sure all the ladies look right past the beer gut and scraggily beard if it's framed in a camo shirt and hunter orange cap. :tearsofjoy:

Back to the topic at hand. I'm actually amazed at how noisy even a lot of the hunting clothes on the market actually are. I'm with you @BCHunter, my first need from clothes I wear hunting is that they have to be absolutely QUIET. I have a set of rain gear that's a fleece type fabric and is very quiet on its own, but lean against a even a moderately rough bark tree and it sounds like velcro when you try to pull away. This is the main reason I can't bring myself to buy camo online, I'm afraid it won't meet my standard for quiet movement. It's also probably one of the main reasons I've hunted with Scentlok camo as long as I have. Whether you believe the hype or not (and this thread is not about that) the camo I've had from them has always been extremely silent.

Other than exterior items, most of my base/mid layers/socks/gloves are from non-hunting companies because it is usually better made and goes on sale more regularly.

Also, half the hunting companies that use Gore Tex actually use Pac Lite type, which is the crappiest, but they don't tell you that (that's what Sitka uses mostly). For the same price as a camo gore tex pac lite jacket, you can get 3 layer gore tex pro shell jacket from a non hunting company if you watch sales (the 3 layer pro is way better).
I didn't realize there was a difference in Gore Tex. How do you know weather Pac lite or 3 layer pro is used?

I didn't realize there was a difference in Gore Tex. How do you know weather Pac lite or 3 layer pro is used?

There's 4 or more different types by now, I believe. Hiking/outdoor brands tend to specify it. Otherwise, you have to do some digging. If they just say "Gore Tex" in product description and nothing else, then it is probably the cheaper stuff because otherwise they'd use it as a selling point. Gore and others have tested breathability and water resistance, and interestingly the 3 layer pro (or other higher end) is better in both, which it seems like they would work in opposite directions. You can find that via google. One company that uses the good stuff in camo is Arc'teryx (LEAF), but it is big money.

My favorite for the money is Helly Hansen's 3 layer version (Odin line, etc), which is cheaper because they don't have to pay Gore.

Plenty of nice solid color surplus clothing. Dryfit, cotton, wool, fleece, lots of options. Military gets the best quality materials to begin with and when u get them.used they usually broken in and soft/quiet.
I use the waffle shirts a ton. Not huge into wool, it's always been super heavy for how warm it is. I like the super cold weather stuff, but it's not very quiet.

I feel like the only reason I buy camo is because most warm/dry clothing is super loud unless it's from a hunting company. I've got to believe that these other giant outdoor companies can make gear that's lighter, warmer, and all around better since they are for a bigger market. I just don't want to compromise on how quiet it is.

Does anyone know of any winter clothes that would be on the level of Sitka Fanatic? River's West for quiet rain gear?

One thing I've heard the military does is put a soft material over their rain wear.

I have a nice, but loud, pair of Helly Hansen rain pants. I bought a few pairs of thin, polyester, xlarge camo pajamas that I can pull on right over my boots due to stretch. They quiet it down. The down side is extra stuff to carry, plus if it rains and then the wind blows, you have a wet layer evaporating and pulling heat. The thin polyester does do a good job of draining, but it still makes you colder and you'd to increase insulation to offset that.

I have a quiet but ultralight Nomad button shirt in XL (I'm usually an L) in case I have to do this with a jacket (I also have a loud but very nice/breathable Helly Hansen jacket).

Last edited:
I have a pair of brown firstlite corrugate guide pants. I don't usually wear them hunting, but they are my go to pants most of the year.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Probably the main reason you'll rarely see me wearing camo (and definitely not hunter orange) anything outside of a woodland setting. I am a hunter, its in my blood and deeply rooted in who I am. I don't feel the need to advertise it by wearing the "cool" accouterments around town. I'm an old married guy so it doesn't matter me to me but I'm sure all the ladies look right past the beer gut and scraggily beard if it's framed in a camo shirt and hunter orange cap. :tearsofjoy:

Back to the topic at hand. I'm actually amazed at how noisy even a lot of the hunting clothes on the market actually are. I'm with you @BCHunter, my first need from clothes I wear hunting is that they have to be absolutely QUIET. I have a set of rain gear that's a fleece type fabric and is very quiet on its own, but lean against a even a moderately rough bark tree and it sounds like velcro when you try to pull away. This is the main reason I can't bring myself to buy camo online, I'm afraid it won't meet my standard for quiet movement. It's also probably one of the main reasons I've hunted with Scentlok camo as long as I have. Whether you believe the hype or not (and this thread is not about that) the camo I've had from them has always been extremely silent.
X2 on the scentlok. I just order a few things off the discount rack. Not because I am going all Jim E. I like the material. I will wash it once in the fall, and again if I get it all bloody. No ozone tank. The jacket I just picked up and pair of pants have a very nice soft feel to them. Feel warm for the weight, and seem well put together. The jacket was 29.99 and the pants where 33 I think. Good prices for good camo hunting gear. If it didn't have the carbon stuff I still will use it and buy it for those prices. Just based on the construction. Look at there clearance stuff. Sign up for the deals for 10% off. It's good stuff for the discount prices. Mix and match patterns if it's not important.

I have given up on the quest for quiet rain gear that breathes, I now just carry Cabelas space rain stuff in my pack if it’s supposed to be nasty that day, and take it back off soon as possible, merino base layers next to my skin, fleece or wool over that. I don’t care about camo patterns at all, a lot of my stuff is dark green wool or any muted color, I do really like my sitka stratus stuff but the fancy camo pattern does nothing for me.

Prana pants, wrangler outdoor pants and Duluth has a puffy that is quite. Not sure of the model but it’s made with Toray’s insulation.

Prana pants, wrangler outdoor pants and Duluth has a puffy that is quite. Not sure of the model but it’s made with Toray’s insulation.

My favorite rain hat is Duluth Alaskan Hard Gear waterproof ballcap. It's nylon exterior (I don't worry about head noise) which means you don't have a sopping wet fleece thing on your head dripping everywhere.

Have you looked at REI? Most of the mountain hiking gear is comfy lite and not really loud. Usually they have some earth neutral colors too. Although I hear you enjoy Hawaiian and blue.. I mean they may have those colors as well?

Back