• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Noob Tether question

Oldforester

Hey guys totally new to saddle hunting and am super pumped about my mantis coming in the mail soon! Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find it. I didn't order the tether or linesman ropes because I already have two Summit tethers with prusik knots that are from my two Summit harnesses. Are they ok to use as a tree saddle tether? Thanks for all the great info you experienced guys have provided on this forum!

I figured they’d work just wanted to hear from someone who knows more about this stuff than me. I’m a utility worker so I know a lot about climbing with a linesman belt and hooks but I go up do what I gotta do and come down! I don’t hang out up there like I’ll be doing in that saddle! Thanks Mike!

I was wondering the same for sure. It is way cheaper (plus I probably already have one) to use a safety harness tether than to buy one with the Mantis. So that’s been my plan and I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Can really save $50 ish just buy buying another brand linesman’s belt and tether, which is a big deal for someone like me starting with nothing for this new adventure.

Yeah cmonsta I've already got 2 summits and a muddy tether. Definitely gonna try and use them. Probably going to upgrade to aluminum carabiners when I get some extra scratch though. Those summit steel carabiners are heavy!

Yeah mine are either muddy or hunter safety system. I can’t remember, but I know I have one or 2. And found them on Amazon for around $20-25 vs tethrd’s $60 each price tag.

The HSS and Muddy Tethers will work. I have used them in the past and my son still uses one as a tether. With that said you aren't really comparing apples to apples. The stuff from tethered is a better quality rope with a significantly higher weight rating and the carabiners weigh ounces instead of pounds. They will both hold you up in a tree though.

The HSS and Muddy Tethers will work. I have used them in the past and my son still uses one as a tether. With that said you aren't really comparing apples to apples. The stuff from tethered is a better quality rope with a significantly higher weight rating and the carabiners weigh ounces instead of pounds. They will both hold you up in a tree though.
Most definitely. I agree the Tethrd ropes are wayyyy better. I’m just trying to make do with what I’ve got for now. My mantis with a couple accessories and the Predator just cost me $415. That’s a big chunk for me brother. Definitely looking at upgrading later. I really like the Samson predator and would like to have a tether and adjustable bridge (like bowhunter15 has on his saddle) made out of it.

Back