• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

North Georgia Newbie

Welcome Tony...and YES, saddle hunting will make you waaaaay more mobile and put you in the hunting areas that most are not willing to venture into.
The ability to move quickly and quietly, change locations and go where others aren't is one of the biggest advantages with a saddle!

You've come to the right place, the amount of useful information that you'll find here at SaddlleHunter.com can't be found anywhere else. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we all started somewhere.

Welcome Tony!!
I'm south of Atlanta. Where are you??
Just north of Atlanta in Woodstock. If you've got any advice for a new hunter in the area, I'm all ears. I'm trying to fill freezers for my family, so I'm really trying to find some public land to harvest multiple does each year. If I get on some buck sign, all the better, but I'm really focused on groceries.

Yes!! Another MEAT hunter!! I cried a little last week as I pulled out my last sirloin and grilled up some steaks as we had some company over. They were amazing!

Welcome to the best hunting site out there! Check out the new saddle hunter section, start with the glossary and then the Noobie advice/info, which is a good overview of everything out there with links in one place.

Welcome! I’m a GA public land hunter myself..

Some tips.. Generally speaking the further away from Atlanta you get, the lower the pressure. Higher deer #’s in central and south GA as well.

If you’re chasin horns think West Ga...

Hope this helps and good luck!

Just north of Atlanta in Woodstock. If you've got any advice for a new hunter in the area, I'm all ears. I'm trying to fill freezers for my family, so I'm really trying to find some public land to harvest multiple does each year. If I get on some buck sign, all the better, but I'm really focused on groceries.
Travel southeast into Roswell and start knocking on doors along the Chattahoochee river. Several book bucks being killed every year in that area. Deer densities are through the roof also.

Yes!! Another MEAT hunter!! I cried a little last week as I pulled out my last sirloin and grilled up some steaks as we had some company over. They were amazing!

Welcome to the best hunting site out there! Check out the new saddle hunter section, start with the glossary and then the Noobie advice/info, which is a good overview of everything out there with links in one place.
I know the feeling; I'm thawing my last roasts right now. I appreciate the advice on where to look for helpful information, there really is a ton of info here. To be honest, when it comes to saddle hunting, I'm less concerned with the "saddle" part, and more concerned with the "hunting" part. I used to be an arborist, so climbing and hanging in a saddle are second nature. I'm a complete NEWBIE when it comes to hunting, however. I've been reading and listening to hunting podcasts non-stop since last season, but still feel like I don't have a lot of information that applies to hunting in my neck of the woods. Most of the tactics you read or hear about just don't seem to be applicable to hunting public land in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. I have a feeling, though, that this forum will be an invaluable asset in that department since there are so many folks hunting similar terrain. Thanks again for the warm welcome!

I know the feeling; I'm thawing my last roasts right now. I appreciate the advice on where to look for helpful information, there really is a ton of info here. To be honest, when it comes to saddle hunting, I'm less concerned with the "saddle" part, and more concerned with the "hunting" part. I used to be an arborist, so climbing and hanging in a saddle are second nature. I'm a complete NEWBIE when it comes to hunting, however. I've been reading and listening to hunting podcasts non-stop since last season, but still feel like I don't have a lot of information that applies to hunting in my neck of the woods. Most of the tactics you read or hear about just don't seem to be applicable to hunting public land in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. I have a feeling, though, that this forum will be an invaluable asset in that department since there are so many folks hunting similar terrain. Thanks again for the warm welcome!

The best part about this site, don't be afraid to ask questions! I was in your shoes last year, my first year bowhunting and saddlehunting, and I had a pretty successful season and I give all of that credit to this site! Ask questions, there is a ton of knowledge on here!!!!

Welcome. If you are going hunt public land set up an account online and start applying for quota hunts. There are some wma lands that are focused on trophy quality and others on opportunity. Piedmont NWRhas a couple hunts that are a different quota application process than the wma and it’s a good meat hunt with chances at nice bucks also. If I lived above Atlanta it would be hard for me not to spend a lot of time in the cohutta wma. 90000 acres with 40000 acres of roadless wilderness area. The deer density is about half the states average but there are pretty good opportunities for bear also.

Welcome. If you are going hunt public land set up an account online and start applying for quota hunts. There are some wma lands that are focused on trophy quality and others on opportunity. Piedmont NWRhas a couple hunts that are a different quota application process than the wma and it’s a good meat hunt with chances at nice bucks also. If I lived above Atlanta it would be hard for me not to spend a lot of time in the cohutta wma. 90000 acres with 40000 acres of roadless wilderness area. The deer density is about half the states average but there are pretty good opportunities for bear also.
Thank you very much! I've already applied for some quota hunts for the upcoming year, I guess I'm collecting a preference point. LOL I'm definitely looking at Cohutta, Pine Log, and Blue Ridge. I did not know about the quota hunt at Piedmont, however. Thanks again!

Don’t overlook the state park quota hunts either. It takes 4-6 years to get drawn but it’s free to apply and they generally have crazy high success rates and they are strictly for herd reduction. Also while you are applying for quota hunts apply for every type Turkey/hog/dove etc. you can build as many points as you want. Unlike other states where you lose all your points when drawn for that species, in Georgia you wager the number points you want to use and only lose that many if drawn.

Last edited:
Back