• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Not a fan...128 yrd shot w/ a compound

dlist777

And here I am holding myself to a 40 yard limit with a xbow shooting 400 FPS.....It worked out, he's obviously a great archer...but so much can happen and they were staring at him when he shot...I always wonder how many times he tried this, it didn't work out, and he didn't post the video.

Last edited:
I would not take that shot but he practices at 120 yards daily. Once you get past 60 yards animals cant hear your bow being shot which is why a lot of animals being shot that far away are not reacting like an animal inside 30 yards.

He is an amazing shot and trains super hard making shots under pressure.

The bull takes a step, turns, then drops and takes another step before pushing off. Fortunately, it lines the vitals back up for a fatal hit.

Yes the animal didn't hear the shot, or didn't react to it. But he damn sure heard/saw the arrow and reacted to that.

I'll reserve judgement either way. But the hit is a product of arrow going where he was aiming(skill, focus, practice, talent, etc), and then pure luck that where he was aiming happened to include the animals vitals (they moved in and out and back into the point of impact between when he shot, and impact).

The bull takes a step, turns, then drops and takes another step before pushing off. Fortunately, it lines the vitals back up for a fatal hit.

Yes the animal didn't hear the shot, or didn't react to it. But he damn sure heard/saw the arrow and reacted to that.

I'll reserve judgement either way. But the hit is a product of arrow going where he was aiming(skill, focus, practice, talent, etc), and then pure luck that where he was aiming happened to include the animals vitals (they moved in and out and back into the point of impact between when he shot, and impact).
Yea but was he shooting FOC arrows

Wow, incredible shot, however piss poor ethics in my opinion. Here's a comment on the video that really rang true for me:

Dave Howes:
Did Nancy Bowmar "the believer" have the ability to shoot an arrow at a target 130 yards away. Yes. That makes him a very talented shooter yes. Not many other people couldn't or shouldn't try to shoot that far yes correct! He is special! Now that is out of the way.... He is NOT a good bowhunter or positive example of a bowhunter because bowhunters think the animal is more than a "target". Im sorry to hurt your feelings but bowhunters don't "believe", we know. Bowhunters think about how to get close enough to allow for a ethical shot to take place. Bowhunting is not like steeling a base, or throwing the long ball. Its about putting the work in that it takes to get close, and taking an high percentage shot out of respect for the animal. That is our goal.

I know it’s easy to crush this b/c it’s unethical but the worst part is the example if sets that it’s ok if things don’t go right. That’s a living creature & we owe them clean ethical kills to the best of our ability, just think it’s a bad look for us as a whole. That dude is a hunter , so are we. Cmon man!

I know it’s easy to crush this b/c it’s unethical but the worst part is the example if sets that it’s ok if things don’t go right. That’s a living creature & we owe them clean ethical kills to the best of our ability, just think it’s a bad look for us as a whole. That dude is a hunter , so are we. Cmon man!
I will have to disagree. Just the pursuit of game doesn't make you a hunter, no more than baking a cake makes you a chemist.

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence in thinking than most of you guys. To me being "ETHICAL" is a personal matter there fore I can not judge ones ethics from being different than mine. Two, a shot like that isn't for your avg bowhunter, however the equipment is plenty capable and in this case so is Bowmar. I hear the argument often that "too much can go wrong" but that is the case whether it be a 20, 30, 40..etc yd, every scenario is different in the field. That is the case in hunting in general, all we can do is hunters is practice and prepare ourselves to capitalize when the opportunity arises. With that said, long shots are a norm with western bowhunting, would those hunters be unethical being they hunt different size animals in different terrain?

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence in thinking than most of you guys. To me being "ETHICAL" is a personal matter there fore I can not judge ones ethics from being different than mine. Two, a shot like that isn't for your avg bowhunter, however the equipment is plenty capable and in this case so is Bowmar. I hear the argument often that "too much can go wrong" but that is the case whether it be a 20, 30, 40..etc yd, every scenario is different in the field. That is the case in hunting in general, all we can do is hunters is practice and prepare ourselves to capitalize when the opportunity arises. With that said, long shots are a norm with western bowhunting, would those hunters be unethical being they hunt different size animals in different terrain?
You are absolutely correct that something can happen on a shot of any distance, our responsibility as hunters is to do everything we can to minimize the opportunity for those things to happen so we have a clean quick kill and the animal does not suffer due to our ego. Taking a shot at 128 yards is irresponsible behavior when viewed from that perspective, all that shot served to do was inflate his ego. He needs to spend the same time and effort it took him to learn to shoot at that distance accurately to learn to stalk closer to his intended target animals instead of taking irresponsible shots just because he can.

No one can consistently argue that ethics are a personal matter. You can’t judge the ethics of others? How about Hitler? ISIS? We judge the ethics of others all the time. That’s why we fight wars, have a police force and criminal justice system, and laws in general. Ethical relativity is an intellectual, philosophical, and personal cop-out.

And while it is true that something can happen at 20-40 yd distances, you cannot equate those risks to a 128 yd shot. You simply cannot predict the movement of an animal. A 20-40 yd shot means less time for an animal to respond and a better chance that your arrow can make the distance before the animal can respond.

I don't care if you are an olympic gold medal archer that's still an unethical shot. Shooting a live animal at that range is obviously WAY different than shooting at a stationary target. So much can go wrong at that distance. The arrow takes forever to reach the target not to mention the lost energy. Save those shots for target shooting. Bow hunting is supposed to be a short range sport. That's the whole appeal to it. Save those shots for the rifle hunts.

The worst part about it in my eyes is others watch that video and think if he can do this so can they. Guys making videos like this need to understand the impact they have on others and the responsibility they have to pass on good ethics. Some things are better left off video. Seems some guys just love to toot their own horn and don't even care about the message they are sending.

Back