• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Not a Gun Guy…

Camelcluch

SH Member
I’m preparing for a bear hunt that may have an opportunity for a wolf. I don’t shoot rifles much but I got out today. Really just trigger time and two different kinds of ammo. These were my last two with each. 300 wsm 150 grain junk and 200 grain eld-x.

IMG_5452.jpegIMG_5453.jpeg

With a magnum I would always go premium ammo in any weight or heavy in cheaper stuff. I seen weird stuff happen in my 7mm rem mag and 300 wby when trying going light weight and cheap. But cheap and heavy fare well. (Wby was cheating out on handloads)

I’m just shooting for practice right now. My buddy will do some trial loads with a few different bullets before I choose. Auccubonds and Bulldozers 2s are on the list.
I also worked the trigger to 2.5# down from 5.5. That was a huge difference.

When in doubt, Accubonds are a solid consistent performer at all ranges, a do all sort of bullet, if you know your shots are going to be close, say under 200 yards, it’s hard to beat a more tough/bonded bullet like the Nosler Partition or Swift Aframe, if a more frangible bullet like the ELDX shoots the best the easiest way to overcome splash hits on close shots is shoot a heavy for caliber bullet, go up in weight, slows the velocity down, and more consistent terminal performance at all ranges, don’t over look the Speer HotCors as well, a poor mans Partition, cheap enough to practice with and the performance on game is excellent, a 300 WSM can be a screamer with the right loads, I try to tune all my rifles when hand loading to stay right at or just under 3k fps with the heaviest bullet it can handle, that seems to be the sweet spot for maximum penetration with less splash hits across a wide variety of ranges in all practical hunting situations, I nerd out about bullets!

Well crap! After trying to get ready for this bear hunt I really messed up. I bought a Proof barrel that is the start of a rifle build. Ugh, another hobby is killing my bank account….

Thats true. I’m still a bow guy but stepping out a bit to extend hunting seasons. Being lefty, I’m building for not much more than some of the nice production guns.
I’m a lefty as well, and also have a build going.. Defiance Classic action, Proof Sendero 22” 6 mm Creedmoor, TriggerTech Special trigger, I just need to order the stock, AG Composites Privateer in carbon fiber, I can’t decide on the color.. I have another lefty Proof Research Summit rifle in 6.5 Creed that’s a hammer, the Summit rifle was the predecessor to Proof’s Glacier rifle they offer now. There’s not much I haven’t owned or handled when it comes to left handed rifles, rifle building is a disease with no cure..

I’m going with a Terminus Kratos Lite, XLR Chassis, Trigger Tech Special, Proof 20” barrel, 419 Hellfire break and will add a Tbac Ultra 5 later. 7 prc for hunting and fun long range.
I will also add a Bergara HMR 22 to shoot with my buddy. Hitting stuff at 250 to 400 yards is a ton of fun. This one will wait a bit for funds to replenish.

Last edited:
Ohhh, Defiance vs Terminus. Nitride vs DLC. Yummy.

I’ve been looking at the folding CF chassis for awhile. The MDT speaks to me over the XLR. Read the review by the EXO people, thought the disagreeing comments meritable.

Any experience one-one?

I have no real world experience with the chassis or actions. I went with the Terminus because my gunsmith suggested it for what I want to do. XLR because they make a lefty long action and it’s about $500 less than the MDT.

I have no real world experience with the chassis or actions. I went with the Terminus because my gunsmith suggested it for what I want to do. XLR because they make a lefty long action and it’s about $500 less than the MDT.

This is all top shelf. Will be an amazing build I’m sure.

Thanks. It will be a while. All I have is the barrel. Long waits for the action and chassis…

Last edited:
I’m going with a Terminus Kratos Lite, XLR Chassis, Trigger Tech Special, Proof 20” barrel, 419 Hellfire break and will add a Tbac Ultra 5 later. 7 prc for hunting and fun long range.
I will also add a Bergara HMR 22 to shoot with my buddy. Hitting stuff at 250 to 400 yards is a ton of fun. This one will wait a bit for funds to replenish.
That’s awesome! I just sold the perfect scope for it…. Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 F2, heck of an optic but more than I needed for sure, I had a lefty Bergara HMR in 22-250 for a couple years, a lot of rifle for the money no doubt, I have no idea if mine was a shooter I never finished the barrel break in period, everyone says they are however, I swapped the trigger out to a Jewell and never followed through with my plans for it.

I haven’t decided on optic yet. Maven R1.2 or NF NXS 3-15. 85% hunting. I am kind of picky with the reticles and having a tough finding something I like. The Arken is nice but a little hesitant.

Ohhh, Defiance vs Terminus. Nitride vs DLC. Yummy.

I’ve been looking at the folding CF chassis for awhile. The MDT speaks to me over the XLR. Read the review by the EXO people, thought the disagreeing comments meritable.

Any experience one-one?
Check the Defiance website if you go that route, mine was a deal being left handed and surplus to their needs apparently, it was $175 if I remember correct to have mine get Nitride through them, they send it out I think to some place, 4 week additional wait, my action was in stock so no wait there, I’m going with a prefit from Proof and doing everything else myself, hopefully it shoots, my Summit rifle is built on a Defiance Rebel action and you should feel that thing, if you tried it once you would understand, this new Classic action doesn’t feel as nice but it’s not broke in yet either and I’m sure that Proof polished everything to perfection on that Summit rifle, that has a Jewell trigger, Oberndorf BDL floor plate and 24” Sendero contour, no brake. The stock is Proof’s own lightweight, they bought out Lone Wolf’s design, I think it weighs 18 oz.

I haven’t decided on optic yet. Maven R1.2 or NF NXS 3-15. 85% hunting. I am kind of picky with the reticles and having a tough finding something I like. The Arken is nice but a little hesitant.
My only complaint with the NXS is I like flip open scope covers and it drives me nuts when you adjust the power on those and the eye piece spins too causing the scope cover to rotate, I can’t stand that, I like a simple reticle for hunting, some of Nightforce’s older reticles are more my style for hunting, I can’t remember the names without looking, I have an Astigmatism in my shooting eye and sold both of my SHV scopes because the illumination was useless for me, the Digillum on the NX8 was fine, and whatever they use on the NXS also worked well. I think you could club a bear to death with a NXS scope and it would still perform, awesome scopes. My buddy has an older NXS 3-15 with the IHR reticle I believe it was called, super nice, almost like a plain duplex. The MOAR is my least favorite.

Back