• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Notch Dryad Dynamic Cabling

kyler1945

SH Member
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=16913

Cheap, strong, easily spliced, lays flat, UV resistant, quiet, etc.

I use it on my stepps. There are probably several other applications in our world that it would be good for.

Just thought I'd give it another plug. I love the ropes that come on the stepps stock, but I love this just a little more I think. Still only have about 30 climbs with it so far.

How does this compare to amsteel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

My only experience with amsteel in this application was tying the stepp knot on the XOP seat ernie platform. That knot absolutely sucked to tie with amsteel.

This stuff unknots easier than the original ropes on the stepps if you ask me. Quiet and no stretch.

The few things I can't confirm yet because of time, are if critters like it (I've only left on a tree one night max), resistance to staying wet a lot, and overall wear resistance, compared to the original ropes. Compared to amsteel i would imagine its similar.

My only experience with amsteel in this application was tying the stepp knot on the XOP seat ernie platform. That knot absolutely sucked to tie with amsteel.

This stuff unknots easier than the original ropes on the stepps if you ask me. Quiet and no stretch.

The few things I can't confirm yet because of time, are if critters like it (I've only left on a tree one night max), resistance to staying wet a lot, and overall wear resistance, compared to the original ropes. Compared to amsteel i would imagine its similar.

Having said all of that, if it was designed specifically for arborists to anchor themselves to a tree, well, I think it should serve us well...

I'm gunna keep this in mind for replacing my ropes next year. Ideally I'd like to have a rope I can girth hitch to the step and take off and store them in a separate compartment. Not a fan of messing with all the ropes in the bag.

I'm gunna keep this in mind for replacing my ropes next year. Ideally I'd like to have a rope I can girth hitch to the step and take off and store them in a separate compartment. Not a fan of messing with all the ropes in the bag.

90% of the ease is the bag mod and how I store them, 10% is it's way easier to deal with than the original ropes.

How would this work compared to amsteel for making a bridge? The listed strength is roughly a third of amsteel with equal width measurement. What about abrasion resistance? How does it compare? Has anyone experienced anything other than using this material to attach steps, ladders ex. to trees?

How would this work compared to amsteel for making a bridge? The listed strength is roughly a third of amsteel with equal width measurement. What about abrasion resistance? How does it compare? Has anyone experienced anything other than using this material to attach steps, ladders ex. to trees?

It's designed for arborists to splice eyes on rings and build a dogbone or such to anchor to a tree. It's woven flat so that it doesn't cut into the bark as much as rope with equal strength/steel cabling typically used. I've tied and untied my steps 30 ish times each and no signs of any abrasion. This includes some really rough barked oaks, hackberrys, etc.

I think it would make a great bridge because it is easy to splice, easy to pack, and would slide very easily through a carabiner. Your 6-8mm friction hitch on your tether would break before the 3/8" does, but you could easily go to 1/2" for that, and it would still weigh less than 2 ounces, while meeting or exceeding break strength of your tether. 1/2" is about double weight of 1/4" amsteel - at around an ounce.

I'm not sure it is better that amsteel in many applications. But untying a step knot with it is exponentially easier than amsteel. Just another tool in the tool box.

The big problem I found with the notch dryad is that it is soft and it pulls threads easily. For example I tried it briefly as a bridge and it caught on every briar it found and I came out with lots of pulled threads.

Back