• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Occasional SRT: Hand ascender or Ropeman/Kong/RollNLock with 'biner?

tarafrost

Oct 31, 2021
Ontario, Canada
As I wait for my saddle to arrive, I'm acquiring other gear I'm gonna need or think I want. Definitely plan to rappel down, so figured SRTing up once in a while (in case I drop something or nature calls too insistently and have to go down). Don't currently plan to use SRT as my go-to ascent technique. Gonna start with 4 sticks and also try some 1-sticking.

So....looking for some advice. Do I buy a dedicated hand ascender or just use a Ropeman/Kong/RollNLock with a 'biner for the occasional rope ascent?

tarafrost

Oct 31, 2021
Ontario, Canada
You can use the others but a hand ascender with foot loop just makes life easier. My philosophy is if your going to spend extra money on something, spend a bit more on something you're not going to have to fight.

I agree with your approach for the most part, but getting into this saddle hunting game is turning out to be rather more expensive than not, since I believe in buying quality stuff and like many here, am a bit of a gear nut. Also more expensive up here in Canada, since much of the gear has to come across the border, so with exchange rate, shipping and duty/brokerage fees, it adds up real fast.

I'm have a CT RollNLock already, and lots of good 'biners from my rock climbing days, so was wondering if that will work reasonably well to keep the costs down a bit. Then if I find I'm doing enough SRT ascending, invest in a dedicated device down the road.

tylerray378

Jul 6, 2018
Chillicothe, OH

John RB

Vendor Rep
Jan 24, 2021
Fort Washington, PA
youtube.com
This is something i have been working on for a while and was in no rush to publish. There are two videos on the JRB Ascender Hitch playlist. This is the first one and it's only a couple weeks old. This device works LIKE a hand ascender. I submitted it to the International Guild of Knot Tyers as a new knot, my third actually. I am beyond excited about watching this get adopted in all kinds of climbing. I just posted it on an arborist forum (a tough crowd to impress) and the reaction has been amazing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tarafrost

MNFarmHunter

Jun 6, 2021
Minnesota
I almost exclusively SRT and used a Duck+biner for a month of daily practice before getting a true hand ascender. It can be done easily and effectively without a hand ascender but the hand ascender is even easier and quicker to setup.

My advice would be to wait on the hand ascender and save your money for now. Practice in your yard and get some hunts in to see what you really need vs. going out and buying what you might need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarafrost

Oct 31, 2021
Ontario, Canada
This is something i have been working on for a while and was in no rush to publish. There are two videos on the JRB Ascender Hitch playlist. This is the first one and it's only a couple weeks old. This device works LIKE a hand ascender. I submitted it to the International Guild of Knot Tyers as a new knot, my third actually. I am beyond excited about watching this get adopted in all kinds of climbing. I just posted it on an arborist forum (a tough crowd to impress) and the reaction has been amazing.

That is really cool, John! Very innovative hitch. I can see why the arborist crowd would be excited by this. A quality, brand-namehand ascender is not cheap.

Reactions: John RB

tarafrost

Oct 31, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I’ve used this for two years and only srt if I’m using a preset or gonna come back on the next hunt and leave everything in tree. $35 is pretty cheap. You can tie a foot loop out of a left over ratchet strap.

NewDoar Hand Ascender Rock Climbing Tree Arborist Rappelling Gear Equipment Rope Clamp for 8~12MM Rope

That's interesting. Never heard of the NewDoar brand. I am very conservative when buying gear that my life depends on, so tend to stick to well known brands like Petzl, CT, DMM, Kong, MadRock and the like, even though that comes at a premium price.

tylerray378

Jul 6, 2018
Chillicothe, OH
That's interesting. Never heard of the NewDoar brand. I am very conservative when buying gear that my life depends on, so tend to stick to well known brands like Petzl, CT, DMM, Kong, MadRock and the like, even though that comes at a premium price.

I don’t disagree with you. However this is just your ascender. If it failed, your safeguard would catch you. I don’t skimp on the rope or running a mad rock. But the ascender to me was a place where you can save money. I’ve used it 4 times in 2 years and never had a single issue. YMMV

MNFarmHunter

Jun 6, 2021
Minnesota
In terms of cost:
What you already have for stick climbing=Zero
(1) mechanical=$$$
(1) hand ascender=$$$$$

You've already said your climbing with sticks and rappelling down with the only time you'd ever climb the rope being those one-off situations. If you left everything up in the tree and rappelled down for whatever reason, you'd still have everything you need to climb up attached to your saddle, ie: linemans belt.

With that linemans belt, you have:
- rope which can be tied into a foot loop and connected to the rope with a prusik hitch
- a prusik (or mechanical) which serves as your rope attachment
- a carabiner which connects your bridge to the rope attachment

That's all you need. It wouldn't be the fastest but it is functional and costs you nothing. Only if you intend to climb SRT do you really need to go down the rabbit hole.

Case in point since I do climb SRT 99% of the time. I did a evening sit and intended to come back to the same tree in the morning. Instead of removing everything only to set back up a few hours later, I left everything in the tree except my bow. Once on the ground, I realized that by leaving everything in the tree, I also left my hand ascender and foot loop.

Since I always carry a spare tether on my saddle, I simply rigged up what I previously mentioned and climbed the rope nearly as fast, easy and silently as I would my hand ascender.

Lastly and only because everyone loves my drawings, here's how you'd attach a linemans belt to the rope to climb. Simply swap the (blue) prusik foot loop shown for your linemans belt rope. If you use a mechanical instead of a prusik on your linemans belt, simply swap the mechanical for the upper (blue) prusik shown.
Screenshot_2021-09-20_14-26-14.png

wyetterp

Jan 2, 2019
LowCountry, SC
This kinda goes along with your question. If you want to go with the roll n lock watch the video from treefool. He uses it that way.

I really like the packabilty & ease of use with the Kong Futura & petzel roll. Least strenuous way to get up a tree for sure.

tarafrost

Oct 31, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Lastly and only because everyone loves my drawings, here's how you'd attach a linemans belt to the rope to climb. Simply swap the (blue) prusik foot loop shown for your linemans belt rope. If you use a mechanical instead of a prusik on your linemans belt, simply swap the mechanical for the upper (blue) prusik shown.

Great ideas MNFarmHunter, thanks!

I'm already getting a CT RollNLock for my LB......so I won't need the prussic. I have a bunch of web climbing-rated loops already from my rock climbing way back, so easy to uses a couple of those as a foot loop if I want to ascend using the CT.

The way I figure it, gear is hard enough to come by north of the border, so I'm putting together my "best guess/most wanted" gear to get into saddle hunting, which is why I'm going with a CT. If I decide I don't want/need such gear, I could easily get most if not all of my investment back on the used market. So not much downside to overbuying on gear a tad.....love gear! LOL

If I end up ascending the rope more often or decide that SRT is for me, then I'm sure I'll buy a proper hand ascender. CT makes a really nice one with with a built in pulley for the tag end of the rappel rope, for extra mechanical advantage.

SNIPERBBB

Feb 19, 2020
SE Ohio
Great ideas MNFarmHunter, thanks!

I'm already getting a CT RollNLock for my LB......so I won't need the prussic. I have a bunch of web climbing-rated loops already from my rock climbing way back, so easy to uses a couple of those as a foot loop if I want to ascend using the CT.

The way I figure it, gear is hard enough to come by north of the border, so I'm putting together my "best guess/most wanted" gear to get into saddle hunting, which is why I'm going with a CT. If I decide I don't want/need such gear, I could easily get most if not all of my investment back on the used market. So not much downside to overbuying on gear a tad.....love gear! LOL

If I end up ascending the rope more often or decide that SRT is for me, then I'm sure I'll buy a proper hand ascender. CT makes a really nice one with with a built in pulley for the tag end of the rappel rope, for extra mechanical advantage.
You can substitute a carabineer for the pulley if you wanted to go with a cheaper hand ascender which you can find for not much more than a ropeman.

tarafrost

Oct 31, 2021
Ontario, Canada
You can substitute a carabineer for the pulley if you wanted to go with a cheaper hand ascender which you can find for not much more than a ropeman.

Probably easier to just use the RollNlock and biner in that case. :tearsofjoy: Having found some of the linked YT vids on that, it looks like an easy way to start out on the odd rope ascent since I'll already have all that. And if I decide I'm doing rope ascents enough, I would probably just go with the integrated pulley CT hand ascender at that point.

Thanks for all the good advice folks!

Reactions: Fireprojectile

MNFarmHunter

Jun 6, 2021
Minnesota
It's getting dark now but can post some pics tomorrow how to rig up a climbing setup using a linemans belt if interested.