• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Off topic planting/selecting a family tree need advice

Jimmyfunk60

Not sure where to turn for this I am looking to plant a “family” tree in the circle of my driveway. I’d like to get one in soon. I have googled and a tulip poplar is my choice but I can’t source one locally. Has anyone had any luck buying a tree online? That tree flowers in the spring and has really pretty colors in the fall. Grows 70-90 foot.
bfd154dcb431677f369fe1514f9ce56f.jpg

That circle drive goes up to my barns now and center is planted in grass. I’m looking for something that will grow pretty big as it will be in front of my shop and barn which are pretty tall. If anyone has any recommendations for a large tree I’d love to hear them. It will be in a very sunny spot my ground is shale/clay. Looking for something that at least has nice fall colors but spring color is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking for an alternate I like a white dogwood or a sugar maple. If you are dead set on a tulip poplar and can’t find one you are more than welcome to a cutting from my tulip poplar in the back yard. It’s about to bloom here in Ga.

Lots to consider.
Are you stuck on a red fall color? You could plant a small group of contrasting colors. White birch has striking bark but fall colors are so so (yellow). But planted next to some red maples, dogwood, black gum, the white trunks look cool.

Are you hoping it will be a massive tree someday?
Do you want fast growing? Some fast growing trees are short lived and tend to have issues.
Do you care if its "dirty"? I have Hickory and Bkack Walnut in my yard...very dirty trees, always dropping some kind of crap.
Don't discount spring colors. Dogwood, red bud, flowering crabs are beautiful in the spring, but they are smaller varieties.

Be careful with species like maple if there are any french drains nearby. Maple is notorious for long roots that grow like magnets to french drains.

I’m in north east Ohio hoping for something that grows big and has a long life span. Something we can get a family picture with now and when our kids are grown we can do the same with their family’s. No close drains will be in the center of the big circle. No other trees close by.

I’m in north east Ohio hoping for something that grows big and has a long life span. Something we can get a family picture with now and when our kids are grown we can do the same with their family’s. No close drains will be in the center of the big circle. No other trees close by.

I think tulip poplar is a good choice. They grow reasonably fast, and get huge. Yellow fall color. They do well in Ohio.

Back