• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Official Hat and facemask thread

MattMan81

SH Member
I'm sure I am not the only one. I spend more time and movement adjusting what ever is on my head than anything else. Have you guys found anything that stays in place?
I like to at least wear a knitted type hat when it's cooler. Keeps the ears open and some heat in. But everyone I have tried tends to slide up or over my eyes.
Face masks do the same thing one way or the other.
I'm not a cover it all ninja. Face mask when it's really cold. But usually flip it up because it won't stay put. Like the hat, but doesn't stay put.
I pick up one at the store and they all look the same. I like to stash it for the walk in and put it on after I'm up to keep from sweating.
What do you got.

I go back in for the between a camo full hood mask and a camo buff. I have a fleece mask but that’s usually for duck hunting. My favorite hat for cold is a Duluth Trading mad bomber. I’d really like to try a stormy kromer though. I have to say the full hood masks works way better than the buff as far as staying put.

Short brimmed boonie until it is cold. Now I have an even larger short brimmed boonie that will fit comfortably over my wool beanie. No face mask.

A buddy has one of the heavy first lite balaclava and it is nice. Would have to be cold to wear it though.

I like this hat/mask combo. The material around the ears does not block subtle sounds, the brim is short and doesn't interfere when drawing a bow and the mask material keeps drafts off the back of your neck. When it gets colder I will put a wool beanie over it. I do not use it for the activated carbon properties however it has that also.

When it's cold, I use a longer, fleece neck gaiter type thing my Mom makes. It's stiff enough to stand in front of my face without really touching it, and I can move it down with my draw hand when I anchor. If I pull a hood through it, it really stays put.

For warmer weather I here the old spandoflage (sp?) that you can cut your own holes is the ticket.

I like this hat/mask combo. The material around the ears does not block subtle sounds, the brim is short and doesn't interfere when drawing a bow and the mask material keeps drafts off the back of your neck. When it gets colder I will put a wool beanie over it. I do not use it for the activated carbon properties however it has that also.

Pretty much same as me. I like that drop down face mask. I will usually wear a boonie hat of some sort over it. If it is really cold, like the 20's I wear a toboggan/watch cap with a boonie pulled over it and a UA neck gaiter.

When I bought my house I found this short brim hat tucked up in the ceiling in the basement. I have been sporting it ever since. I always tell people I bought the hat for $xxxxxx and it came with a free house. When it gets cold I toss a Bennie hat over it.

1698762599222.jpeg

No matter the weather, I pretty much always wear my First Lite Aerowool Neck Gaiter, which is light enough to be breathable but warm enough to take the edge off a cold wind. I wear the front under my nose and pull the back up over the top of my head (over whatever hat I'm wearing), and that stays put very well. Doesn't fog my glasses and doesn't interfere with my knuckle anchor-point right behind my right ear.

For hats, I'll wear a basic ball cap early in the season. As it cools a bit, I switch to my First Lite Brimmed Merino Beanie. When the mercury drops, I put on a brimmed, lined beanie made by Sitka (discontinued) (closest thing I could link is this Sitka Hudson GTX Hat).

I have a theory, and it may not hold water, but tell me what you think. I like a round hat over a billed hat for elevated hunting and here is the reason. My head is the part of the body that moves the most. With a bill hat, the bill moves side to side, giving the deer lateral movement to key in on. A round hat is just a disk from below so there is less perceived movement. Thoughts?

Early season I use something like this stated above... beanie underneath if needed.

Winter I use like a fleece neck gator paired with a warm beanie.
Edit... see profile pic. Bonus, for me, if its predator fall grey.

Last edited:
I have a theory, and it may not hold water, but tell me what you think. I like a round hat over a billed hat for elevated hunting and here is the reason. My head is the part of the body that moves the most. With a bill hat, the bill moves side to side, giving the deer lateral movement to key in on. A round hat is just a disk from below so there is less perceived movement. Thoughts?
This guy was a fan.... images (1).jpeg

I Second the firstlite wool neck gaiter. I use the 250 weight personally because my bottom base layer has a 120 weight face mask built in that I use when not as cold out. But then for beanies the Sitka stratus or fanatic beanies are great (dependent on how cold your looking for). Yes expensive but truly wind proof and the articulated cut makes them stay put and the hearing ports truly do work in comparison to other hats in the same weight category.

I've never been comfortable in a mask; I keep fidgeting with it. When it gets cold I seem to get the sniffles and masks get gross with snot. I wish it were otherwise. I grow my beard out and wear a boonie until it's cold enough for a beanie or ushanka.

I agree. A brimmed cap is more visible than a boonie. Someone posted a ghillie headband they tie around their boonie or ballcap; I've been meaning to swing by JoAnn's to see what they have for blaze orange so I can do something similar.

I've never been comfortable in a mask; I keep fidgeting with it. When it gets cold I seem to get the sniffles and masks get gross with snot. I wish it were otherwise. I grow my beard out and wear a boonie until it's cold enough for a beanie or ushanka.

I agree. A brimmed cap is more visible than a boonie. Someone posted a ghillie headband they tie around their boonie or ballcap; I've been meaning to swing by JoAnn's to see what they have for blaze orange so I can do something similar.

I think that was me who posted the ghillie headband. This it?

Attachments

• ghillie ring.jpg
    ghillie ring.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 58
Back