• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Offseason gear mods

Dsabhunt

I tagged out in early November, so I ended up with some free time and decided to mod some of my gear. I used tethrd skeletors all season and really liked them. So I decided to cut down my old hawk heliums. I cut the first one at 17" from the top down and put a ronstan medium cam cleat and hsp platform on it to try out one sticking. I made a 15" - 3 step amsteel aider for it and a 1/8" full bury for the attachment rope. The 6mm accessory cord had too much movemwnt the 1 time I tried it on a tree.
The second one I cut 20" up from the bottom and drilled out new step and stand off holes by using the cut off section as a jig after I clamped them together. This gives it a roughly 17" step distance. I eventually cut the third stick the same as the 2ndScreenshot_20230214_205556_Gallery.jpg

4e47540dfe77ff2f7603ec515c870735.jpg

Modded windwalker. Think I am going to move the strap buttons down but mostly finished with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45cf0656efe96097b76abba439d9c48f.jpg

Modded mission. May go back to a cam strap for ease of moving up the tree without completely disconnecting. Gonna climb with it a bit like this first though and then decide.

That looks pretty sweet. I have a mission and plan on using it with the onestick I made but I haven't thought of modding the platform into a one stick but seeing yours has got me thinking about it

Nothing as of yet however the JX3 should be arriving today. I am really looking forward to trying it out and doing some modifications if I like it this offseason

First thing first - I need to be able to 2TC with it. If not, I have no desire to go back to rappelling which might lead me into selling it. We'll see, I have my system so streamline and basic the thought of adding back what I took out of my system seems like going the opposite direction. But the JX3 is just different than a soft saddle so I might have to make some exceptions

Replace bridge this season with new OPLUX. Should be a pretty simple off season, hopefully.

Modded mission. May go back to a cam strap for ease of moving up the tree without completely disconnecting. Gonna climb with it a bit like this first though and then decide.

Just did the same thing, because of you guys! I will be hunting off of it this Saturday.

Hold up, did I miss or forget the build thread on this? If not, can you share some more on what you did here- looks like a 1 inch tube shoved up the bottom of the post to mount that extra step on the bottom? Very interesting

Hold up, did I miss or forget the build thread on this? If not, can you share some more on what you did here- looks like a 1 inch tube shoved up the bottom of the post to mount that extra step on the bottom? Very interesting
No just replaced the mission post with one 20" long. Moved the mission parts over to the top of the new stick and added a double step, platform standoff and aider to the bottom. Aider is 16-17". I can set it at ground level where the top of the stick is right at 6' and it basically functions like a full length hawk or lone wolf stick. At height, cam the platform and wait for something to shoot.

Nothing as of yet however the JX3 should be arriving today. I am really looking forward to trying it out and doing some modifications if I like it this offseason

First thing first - I need to be able to 2TC with it. If not, I have no desire to go back to rappelling which might lead me into selling it. We'll see, I have my system so streamline and basic the thought of adding back what I took out of my system seems like going the opposite direction. But the JX3 is just different than a soft saddle so I might have to make some exceptions

Replace bridge this season with new OPLUX. Should be a pretty simple off season, hopefully.
Wear really light thin and empty saddle with the jx3 for the 2TC climbing part!!!!

I’m doing nothing. I need to mentally step away from hunting for once. After I’m done scouting in April I’m not going to do anything hunting related until fall for the first time in ever. Family takes priority and I’m sick of juggling it so aside from shooting a few times a week all summer I won’t be touching any gear. I run myself down every hunting season pushing hard to pursue game and still be a family man and it never stops after season. This year will be different

Hawk one stick is the best bang for buck, IMO. I still use mine after trying two others this past season.
I already had the hawk sticks and hadn't used them since I bought the skeletors. So after reading about all the cut down hawk sticks I decided I'd give it a shot rather than let them sit around and collect dust

It may end up with one before next season too. ;)
I feel like a cam cleat would be the bees knees on that guy. Guessing it's somewhat annoying sometimes to get to the button, but a cam clear you could just hole the rope out to the side. Yessir you're on to something there, I may have to reconsider my learn 2tc and hang the mission at the top offseason goals and give this a chance.

@2Sloe Think the Ronstan Medium C-cleat will work ok for that application or stick with the harken 150?
Specs look almost identical. Ronstan carries a little more weight rating and had carbon fiber cams. The Harken 150 has aluminum cleats. Personally, I think either one would do the job equally well.

Back