• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ok guys what ropes and why..

Oldnotdead

Are you using. There are so many dbl braid, 24 strand..ect, ect. Why are you using the brand you are and what brands didn't you like? Also other than ropeman 1 what ascender do you use, especially if you repel...thanks in advance

Rope for what use?

I've used predator, tethrd ropes, 9mm htp, amsteel bridge.

The splices on the tethrd ropes are nice, but the rope is my least favourite. Predator handles well but kinda bulky. Htp is nice, recommended by a ton of people here, great for rappel, srt with safeguard/petzl hand ascender. Can't splice - knots or tied loops only.

Oplux looks interesting but $$.

I only consider ropes from reputable brands, and search for suggestions here. My preference is for a small diameter lightweight rope that handles well and is tough enough to resist damage. Also for SRT low stretch.

I use the Tethrd lineman's belt and tether. My lineman's belt is definitely showing some signs of wear after one season, but nothing out of the ordinary and definitely nothing alarming. I also use the ropeman 1and I like it a lot so far. I use it on my lineman's belt and tether. I have never repelled.

3/8 sterling htp... 1st off it's very well priced and very high quality, I wanted something that i could replace every other year without feeling bad about it.
It is a nice stiff rope, the knots are not 2 large on the rope and it does not seem to get snagged on bark.. I may learn how to splice rope later this year if I do il prolly switch to predator.. the only negative I found to sterling htp is it can not be spliced

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3/8 sterling htp... 1st off it's very well priced and very high quality, I wanted something that i could replace every other year without feeling bad about it.
It is a nice stiff rope, the knots are not 2 large on the rope and it does not seem to get snagged on bark.. I may learn how to splice rope later this year if I do il prolly switch to predator.. the only negative I found to sterling htp is it can not be spliced

I forgot to mention I am not a fan of the tethrd rope, it has a very soft sheath and after using it very lightly for a partial season I have a bunch of spots where the rope sheath is coming out (not sure if that's the correct way to explain it will add picture)
8294a328eebf1efc53060c6aa11b16a6.jpg
e21e8e021729fd39566caae348198281.jpg

I’m using Yale bandit and Edelrid safety super 2. The Yale because that’s what everyone was recommending at the time. The Edelrid because I got a super deal on a hundred foot of it.

Whatever came with my Kestrel for the bridge, and whatever the Tethrd lineman's is. Still to uninitiated to offer an opinion...

Samson Predator, http://www.wesspur.com/items/pr15.html It is a high quality rope. I've used mine for two seasons. This year I ordered extra spliced tethers to leave in presets. We have four Kites in the family, all set up with Predator until today. I just finished setting up one Kite with OpLux in an effort to shave off a few ounces. https://doublesteps.com/product/sterling-oplux/
We have all been using Ropeman 1s on linemans and tethers. A month ago I went with Distel hitch on the tether and a Prusik with tender on the lineman's. This is working well. It saves weight and eliminates a potential source of noise.
One deep public land hunts I single stick and rappel down using 8mm OpLux with a MR Safeguard backed up with an auto block.

Nobody wants to say, because once they do, and the Saddle Hunter Effect runs its course, they won't be able to find their favorite rope in stock ever again. :laughing:

I use Sterling 9mm HTP. It’s got a great rating and very abrasion resistant. I like 9mm for the bulk saving. I use it for tether, linesman and rapel line.

Reactions: zu!
I’m using Oplux/TRC for my tether because it’s light and small.
Predator and whatever Aerohunter uses for prussic on my lineman.
Just ordered 9mm HTP/ hollowblock to rapel after hunting. Also figured the HTP would be good for SRT later on when I decide to give that a try, because you know, gotta try everything...

Last edited:
I was using the predator rope as the bridge on my flex. The tethered lineman's belt and tether...switched about 2-3 weeks ago to Oplux for the bridge, LB and tether. I have 52' of oplux as my rope to rappel out of the tree paired with the safeguard and a 6mm TRC on rappel rope backed as an autolock. Then I use the 6mm TRC in a distel hitch with a tender. Sold all three of my ropeman 1's about 6 weeks ago...it cuts down on bulk and weight. I did not at all like the sterling 9mm htp. I thought it was way to stiff for my liking as I was using a scwabisch hitch....and it would twist as I was rappelling. Did not pack as easily as the Oplux does. I also have 75' of predator rope that I was going to use as DdRT but have not found the tree to use it in nor do I have presets.

Oplux with trc for tether, sterling HTP with Kong for linemans. I like the HTP as it's a bit stiffer to help when throwing it around the tree but still packs down into a pouch.

How is everyone liking the Oplux for rappel? No problems controlling descent?

I use Sterling 9mm HTP. It’s got a great rating and very abrasion resistant. I like 9mm for the bulk saving. I use it for tether, linesman and rapel line.

Would you mind detailing the lengths used as well as how you use them please? I bought that exact same rope and had planned to use it for tether linesman and rappel as well.

I’m assuming the tether and rappel are the same rope? Also, what knot do you use to make your end loop? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How is everyone liking the Oplux for rappel? No problems controlling descent?
Started rappelling with oplux recently. Using double biners on the atc for extra friction because one wouldn't hold me in place. TRC hollow block as autoblock. And while getting comfortable with it, I leave my bridge connected to prusik above the atc just in case. Worked great the half dozen time I've used it.

Sent from up in a tree

What is the no kidding Mfg guidelines on rope mm for the mad rock safeguard? Isn’t it 9mm? And isn’t Oplux out of reg?

I’m not judging dudes who go out of reg, I’m just a newb in terms of rappell and am very interested. And I want to go by the book and will probably go to a climbing place to have a pro teach me.

Would you mind detailing the lengths used as well as how you use them please? I bought that exact same rope and had planned to use it for tether linesman and rappel as well.

I’m assuming the tether and rappel are the same rope? Also, what knot do you use to make your end loo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use 10 ft for tether and LB and 40ft for rappel line. I use fig8 and overhand on a bight depending. Fig8 on rap line, and tether, overhand on LB. have enough tail on all of these. Stopper knots on tether and LB.

Back