• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oklahoma scouting

Scoutman

IkemanTx and I went scouting today. Was drizzling rain and cold but we made the best of it. Issac is a beast of a paddler, dont need pedals or motor if he is the boat. Set up 3 spots, saw lots of fresh pig sign and promising deer sign from last season.
a5249c9d78ef258b59292c5ef8b28016.jpg
7c0c740199ea787836521200d712428b.jpg
0a6bcf532c68d4e91bd34646c65422b8.jpg
c6f6ce17132c47778906e826fe331fb6.jpg
f356af6b19dec5b1096bfd42506751af.jpg
ff71ab50d02e77c6366293092fd97c15.jpg
c366f377d936e0679a36131f92ad10d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey, @Scoutman did you ever find any good spots? I am an Oklahoma hunter and love to learn scouting techniques.

We have found some good ones here and there. (At least we think ) It sure takes a LOT of miles around here to come across them, though.
I would say the best spots we’ve come across so far were found during season, when sign was fresh.
I am amazed how sign deteriorates so quickly in northeast Texas/southern Oklahoma. Success on public land in these areas probably directly correlates to how much time you spend scouting in January/February, as well as covering a lot of ground during the season. There is a lot more public in Oklahoma than there is down here in Texas, an I am getting to where I am focusing more and more north of the river. As a bow hunter, I also really like the 14 day rifle season up there as opposed to a 70is day rifle season in Texas.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

We have found some good ones here and there. (At least we think ) It sure takes a LOT of miles around here to come across them, though.
I would say the best spots we’ve come across so far were found during season, when sign was fresh.
I am amazed how sign deteriorates so quickly in northeast Texas/southern Oklahoma. Success on public land in these areas probably directly correlates to how much time you spend scouting in January/February, as well as covering a lot of ground during the season. There is a lot more public in Oklahoma than there is down here in Texas, an I am getting to where I am focusing more and more north of the river. As a bow hunter, I also really like the 14 day rifle season up there as opposed to a 70is day rifle season in Texas.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx
The spring Turkey season offers some pivotal information in regards to the fall whitetail habits. I tend to use Turkey hunting as a primary excuse to be scouting public land for whitetail sign. I can confirm that the success rate is correlated with time spent in the woods due to pressure received from other hunters, the whitetail sign moves quite frequently. Guys around here are as impatient as they are dedicated. They're will to go far and move often to find deer. Creating a "chess game" if you will, with the whitetail. The above picture reminds me of an area in southern Oklahoma caused by the lake dam breaking.

Back