• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Old School DIY Platform: Part 1

ricky racer

So I've been wanting a light weight easily portable saddle for some time. The Predator looked like it would fit the bill and I got on the band wagon early, placing my order. I was among the first to receive my new Predator and was tickled pink to get it and try it out. After inspection and multiple try outs I decided that maybe I should wait for the fat boy version to come out and send my Predator back to the boys.

With the newer version of the Predator platform still in the development stages and I needed something to fill the void. I decided to go old school and make a downsized version of one of the tree stands that I used years ago. Old timers here will recognize this style of stand and can attest to how solid they are in a tree.

I cut out a 12" x 14" platform out of 3/8" exterior grade plywood. The plywood is plenty light weighing only 1.06# per square foot. I wanted the platform to be 12" wide but extend a couple extra inches from the tree, hence the 14" length. The plywood and hardware is easy enough for any DIYer to replicate.

The most difficult part of this type of stand to replicate is the bow that supports the platform from the underside. I wanted to use 5/8" x .035" wall tubing but didn't have any on hand. I did have some 3/4" x .065 wall stainless steel tubing so I used that. I bent the bow in a triangular shape and left the two legs a little long so I could play with the length until I got the geometry I wanted then trimmed them to length. I'm not sure how an average DIYer would bend the tubing to replicate this. I've got benders at work that I can use.

I cut two teeth from 1/4" x 1" aluminum flat stock and bolted them to he platform to bite into the tree. I next cut a third tooth also from 1/4" aluminum flat stock as well to attach to the bow to contact the tree. In the aluminum plate attached to the bow I drilled a 1/2" then cut a keyhole slot. The purpose of the slot is to insert a length of 550 cord knotted about every inch to keep the bow from moving out of position before weight is applied to the platform. Just a little safety device.

20180910_180021-512x288.jpg

20180910_180038-512x288.jpg20180910_180128-512x288.jpg

I ordered some 1/4" Amsteel to anchor the platform to the tree. While I was waiting for the rope to come I gave the platform a quick spray of paint to cover the shiny tubing and hardware. It sure doesn't hold a candle to the nice sponge paint jobs I see on this site by some of the guys here...:confused: but I don't think the deer will know the difference.;)
I also wanted an easy way to transport the platform and after much head scratching, I came up with something that I think will work well. I took a couple of lengths of 5/16" hydraulic tubing and cut a slot a little over half of it's length, slipped a length of 550 through the tubing and knotted it to keep the tubing from sliding off and tied the other end of the cords to my small backpack. I then drilled two holes in the platform to slip the toggles through. A simple twist of the toggles and the platform is securely attached to the backpack.

20180912_185550-512x288.jpg

20180912_185622-512x288.jpg

20180912_185642-512x288.jpg

20180912_185501-512x288.jpg

20180912_190037-512x288.jpg

20180912_190008-288x512.jpg

Part 2 coming up...

Back