• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Older 8pt Buck

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
This season appears to be one of older mature bucks for me. Earlier I killed a mature 7 to 8 1/2 year old that I had been after for three seasons. This time, it was a first time sit in another of my favorite spots.

He certainly is not the biggest buck in the area. A week ago I got busted by two does that had a 150+ in tow. Unfortunately, he stopped to feed while the does moved past and got downwind of me. They bolted, he stood there for a few minutes and then slunk back the way he had come.

So I went back in early yesterday to a tree I have hunted once before (last season). I got set up 2 hours before sunlight. At 930 a doe came down the trail heading to bedding. He was following, half heartily chasing. I knew she was getting close just not ready to breed. They made two passes with 50 yards of stand. They both then went into a known doe bedding area around 1000. At noon, I got down, glassed a tree closer to the trail they were using most. I grabbed a quick lunch, waited until 1:00PM and stalked my way in. It was not a far move, more like 15 yards but in a tree that offered more shooting opportunities (I did not prep this site at all).

I climbed 20 foot high (3 sticks) and got my Tether'd predator set up to where I could stay behind the 8 inch trunk. I would have to shoot to weak side so I hung my bow on the right side in preparation. If he came out of the bedding to look for a hotter doe, I figured he would use this trail as it was perfect for him to scent check as he cruised.

At 2:00 PM Here he came, right down the trail and offered me a 21 yard slightly quartering away shot. The arrow flew true and he ran 20 yards, started to walk and fell over at 35 yards. A perfect double lung that severed top/back of his heart. (third pic shows exit)

I rough aged him at 6 1/2 year old and he has that grayed muzzle common to mature bucks. Not a beast by most standards, but I'll take him. Two mature bucks (over 5 yo ) in one season is not common for me.

Took two hours to get him field dressed, drug 1/2 mile to river, kayak 1.5 miles, and then drug to the truck another 3/4 of a mile. Not sure how many more I can handle like this on my own lol.

My Tether'd Predator Platform and Mantis saddle performed flawlessly.... again. They just allow me so many more opportunities to set up on the fly in a variety of trees. I no longer have to look for a good tree as far as straightness, leaning, size, tec. I now pick the tree that puts me in the best position to kill the buck I'm after. Both my 2019 bucks were shot out of trees I have never scouted, prepped or hunted from.
20191118_173813.jpgScreenshot_20191119-074225_Gallery.jpg20191119_074257.jpg

Great buck! It’s always impressive to kill mature deer. Especially two in one year!

I realize that this spot was near to bedding but what features made this spot a favorite for you? I’m always curious as to what older, wiser hunters are seeing in spots.

Great buck! It’s always impressive to kill mature deer. Especially two in one year!

I realize that this spot was near to bedding but what features made this spot a favorite for you? I’m always curious as to what older, wiser hunters are seeing in spots.

It's a doe bedding area once pressure sets in. I never go in there and not see bucks cruising. I just have to wait for right time, right wind and then I know I'll see bucks. I only hunt this 1 or 2 times a year as I want it to remain a doe safe spot.

It's a doe bedding area once pressure sets in. I never go in there and not see bucks cruising. I just have to wait for right time, right wind and then I know I'll see bucks. I only hunt this 1 or 2 times a year as I want it to remain a doe safe spot.
Right on! Thanks for replying. I appreciate the info

Back