• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One day to hunt the front

sconnieman

Is it better to hunt the first day of the front or the coldest? Cold front comes in on thursday. High on wed is 65 going to high of 46 on Thursday. Winds of 15 on Thursday. However on Friday high is 49 but the morning is going to be below freezing. Winds of about 8.

So if you only have one day, do you hunt all day Thursday or Friday? Wind is same direction both days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60adb389c98f30625dff90a6fd5a8858.jpg

Last edited:
I have weather patterns that I like but I also think that weather changes will get deer on their feet. Say you have 3 days in a row of bluebird skies, 60 degrees and north wind at 5 but the 4th day it is supposed to cloud up with winds switching to SW and a 5-10 degree change increase in temps. That is a change that can get deer moving. Not my preferred scenario but one not to overlook imo. In your scenario posted above, I would have hunted Thursday possible, esp. if the weather had been fairly consistent for the previous few days.

Both days look like good hunting but I'd pick Thursday over Friday.

I'd pick the day after the cold front passes/is over. I have always found better movement on the change day, regardless of the direction of the change.

I'd hunt Thursday and Friday personally but if it came down to one choice, and a lot of guys may disagree, I'd choose Friday. Not much of a difference but just enough to might be a little more they want/need to move.

Back