• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One step climbing tips

Saddle1234

Wanting to give one step climbing a try. But it’s not as easy as it looks on video. I have the problem of balancing on the tree while reaching down to grab my stick and pull up. Any tips for one step climbing is appreciated. Do y’all think it is worth it or just use 3 with aider?

I had the same issue and just went back to multiple steps - more trouble than it was worth struggling up the tree then trying to manage my temperature cus I was sweating so much. Was a struggle in the light and way harder in the dark. One tree I tried had a very minor lean and made it even tougher to balance.

Descending was notably tougher than ascending; same for you?

Few more wild edge steps aren’t that heavy and seem to be worth the weight/bulk.

I’m also VERY new to saddle hunting so interested to see what others think..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue and just went back to multiple steps - more trouble than it was worth struggling up the tree then trying to manage my temperature cus I was sweating so much. Was a struggle in the light and way harder in the dark. One tree I tried had a very minor lean and made it even tougher to balance.

Descending was notably tougher than ascending; same for you?

Few more wild edge steps aren’t that heavy and seem to be worth the weight/bulk.

I’m also VERY new to saddle hunting so interested to see what others think..

Yeah same here with descending. How many wild edge steps does it general take to get at hunting height? I havnt ever experimented with them.

DanO - What gear do I need to purchase from you to achieve this?!?
Rope (see the other thread about how much rope people use - 25'-60') in either HTP or Oplux, ATC style belay device like my Kong Chuy, HollowBlock (autoblock) backup, and two carabiners. Very affordable besides the rope for equipment.

Dan
Rope (see the other thread about how much rope people use - 25'-60') in either HTP or Oplux, ATC style belay device like my Kong Chuy, HollowBlock (autoblock) backup, and two carabiners. Very affordable besides the rope for equipment.

Dan, I have the oplux rope and like to use friction hitches such as a distel or the scwabisch. Don't you have a rope that would work with the oplux as friction hitch?

Wanting to give one step climbing a try. But it’s not as easy as it looks on video. I have the problem of balancing on the tree while reaching down to grab my stick and pull up. Any tips for one step climbing is appreciated. Do y’all think it is worth it or just use 3 with aider?

I'm not sure I understand the "balancing on the tree" issue... There is no real balance act involved, from how I see it. Just sit down in the saddle and hang there while reaching down to pull the stick up. If you fear tipping or rotating inverted while reaching down then use your knees and/or feet against the tree trunk to stabilize. You can straddle it a little, or wrap one leg around it, or rest your knees/feet against it, or sit in almost a "standing" position dangling your feet below the step keeping one foot on each side of the trunk. When I 1-stick I don't feel like I'm trying to "balance" at all.

I do recommend rappelling down, like others have said. Much easier & faster than 1-stick descending.

Dan

Dan, I have the oplux rope and like to use friction hitches such as a distel or the scwabisch. Don't you have a rope that would work with the oplux as friction hitch?
Yes, Beal 5.5mm cordellete and also Sterling 6mm TRC.

I did some digging, and I think I understand how the equipment works at an extraordinarily basic level. How do I get my rope out of the tree once I am down?

I did some digging, and I think I understand how the equipment works at an extraordinarily basic level. How do I get my rope out of the tree once I am down?

One of two ways...
1. attach 30 feet of 550 cord to the girth hitch and once on the ground pull the girth hitch to the ground.
2. Do the DdRT method. Take the end of the rope...I like to use the left hand side and put a figure 8 into the rope. Next attach a blakes hitch or distel or scwabisch hitch on the right side and attach the figure 8 and the friction hitch with a carabiner and attach to your bridge. Make sure the friction hitch is dressed correctly and is under load and will hold you. Then disconnect your tether (if using a tether) and walk down the tree. Once on ground level pull the left side of the rope up and over the branch. You might want to take off the friction hitch first...just in case it gets caught up the tree.

Yes, Beal 5.5mm cordellete and also Sterling 6mm TRC.

Just ordered 6 feet...wish I would have done this last week as I'm heading off to central illinois thursday morning. Oh well...I'll substitute it for some friction hitches I have.

I have tried one sticking. Have all the stuff. It’s a super neat idea. Rappelling down is the only way to go. One sticking down sucks infinitely. It is a young mans game. To me it just isn’t worth the effort. My stick and rappel gear weigh in at 3lbs. My 4 diy sticks weigh 5.86lbs. I am quieter and faster with my 4 sticks and half the time I just use 3 sticks. I do use a CAYG aider.

I have tried one sticking. Have all the stuff. It’s a super neat idea. Rappelling down is the only way to go. One sticking down sucks infinitely. It is a young mans game. To me it just isn’t worth the effort. My stick and rappel gear weigh in at 3lbs. My 4 diy sticks weigh 5.86lbs. I am quieter and faster with my 4 sticks and half the time I just use 3 sticks. I do use a CAYG aider.

Have you posted about your sticks before, would I find if I searched on here? Do you have a picture of sticks or video?

Back