• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stepping?

cmcclain88

Anyone use the one stick method with a WE or Primal step? I’ve thought strongly about making a three step aider that slides over the top two points of contact with the tree, therefore minimizing the collapse factor with the aider. I think the cam buckle of the Primal step would be better than tying and untying the know each move. Just wondered if anyone has tried this yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone use the one stick method with a WE or Primal step? I’ve thought strongly about making a three step aider that slides over the top two points of contact with the tree, therefore minimizing the collapse factor with the aider. I think the cam buckle of the Primal step would be better than tying and untying the know each move. Just wondered if anyone has tried this yet?

I did this with a treehopper treesuit which is similar in function to the primal step but a little larger (probably lighter though). It workd well and was rock solid. I used a 3 step aider. The platform held it the perfect distance from the tree. My biggest complaint wasn't climbing but that it wasn't comfortable to stand on all day which was why I ultimately didnt keep it.

I did this with a treehopper treesuit which is similar in function to the primal step but a little larger (probably lighter though). It workd well and was rock solid. I used a 3 step aider. The platform held it the perfect distance from the tree. My biggest complaint wasn't climbing but that it wasn't comfortable to stand on all day which was why I ultimately didnt keep it.

I’m a ros guy, so that shouldn’t be a problem for me. My concern was how much of a pita it would be to move. Thanks for a quick reply.

I’m a ros guy, so that shouldn’t be a problem for me. My concern was how much of a pita it would be to move. Thanks for a quick reply.

Very easy to move. Good luck!

I climb with a double step stirrup that would be similar to what u describing. I have 2 stirrups and a 4 step aider that I use to get up the tree. Set first stirrup, attach aider, climb aider, transition into stirrup, set next step, reach and unhook aider from the stirrup I'm standing in and hook it up to the next step, step into aider, reach down and undo first stirrup, climb up and step into next foot stirrup, repeat, rappel down

I read something the other day that got my brain turning. Someone mentioned about "one stepping" like you have. I am headed up to camp in two weekends and I am taking all my gear up to practice, etc. I will be trying two different ideas. One is using one WE stepp and trying to basically one stick up using the K/S. I don't believe it'll work that great as getting that knot loose will be a pain. I am also going to take my 2 step aider I use with my beast sticks and try using it with the WE stepps. I am interested to see how high I can get with 3 and 4 steps with the aider. I've basically came to the conclusion that the beast sticks are what works best for me but I do need to try this out.

I don't know what knot wild edge steps use but I attach my stirrups with a timber hitch.... Knot that's not really a knot that's very easy to untie...a little upward pressure to unseat the cantilever "lock" that the rope makes on the tree trunk and it's essentially loose

I don't know what knot wild edge steps use but I attach my stirrups with a timber hitch.... Knot that's not really a knot that's very easy to untie...a little upward pressure to unseat the cantilever "lock" that the rope makes on the tree trunk and it's essentially loose
The WE knot isn’t a complicated knot but definitely not as easy at timber hitch.

I’ve tried this idea a couple years ago with Primal steps. The metal buckle is hard to keep silent, even when taped up. In my mind it’s just easier and simpler to carry 2 more steps and move the aider as you go. 3 steps can get you to over 20 feet.

I've been thinking about this ever since I saw someone climb with just a scout n aider the knot has been my only issue but @Weldabeast may be on to something with a timber hitch. Gotta try this out

I used one for a while last year. I think it was Redbeard that had a video on youtube where he made a 3 step aider for climbing with a platform. I bought some winch cable off of ebay and modeled it after his. It worked ok, but was hard to reach down and unhook when moving. You're mostly working one handed until you get it loose. I always felt like I was one fumble fingered move from dropping it. I was using my rappel rope for the tether so it wouldn't have been a big deal other than noise and time lost but if I was going to keep using it I'd find a way to tether it to me. I put a dyneema rope on one of my primal steps this week and for what little I've messed with it I like it better than the straps but for 1-stepping/sticking I think the strap would be best. The other thing is that my short a** couldn't reach high enough to really take advantage of the third step on the aider other than the first set from the ground.

If it was going to be my goto this year, I'd shorten the aider up (either 2 steps or shorten up the spacing for 3), put a bungie cord on it and stay with the straps and buckles. I thought about making a couple more aiders and running 3 steps which I think would work well. It would get you up around 18' pretty easy, but I drank the 2TC Koolaid so it's found a place in the rubbermaid tote with the rest of my retired climbing stuff.

20210717_161917 (1).jpg

Back