• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick and rappel rope

okccj

I've found when one sticking that I need a much longer tether than I have used in the past. So what I'm thinking is since I plan to rappel down why not just use my SRT/rappel rope as my tether as I one stick up the tree, then obviously continue to use it as my tether once at hunting height. I don't really see a need to carry both a tether and a rappel rope.

I'm sure I'm not the first to consider this, but thoughts on this approach?

I do the same as well. I like one sticking up, but can't stand it coming down. Rappelling down is much faster, easier, and safer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

How are you guys getting your rope down after rapelling?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I do the same. One stick up, rappel down. Using MR safeguard, 9mm HTP.
Getting the rope down with a small wire gate carabiner and para cord.

I lower my bow with para cord then attach the end of it to the loop on my rappel rope. Get on the ground and pull the cord, rope loosens and come right down. Hate climbing down and gives me something to look forward to when it’s time to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've found when one sticking that I need a much longer tether than I have used in the past. So what I'm thinking is since I plan to rappel down why not just use my SRT/rappel rope as my tether as I one stick up the tree, then obviously continue to use it as my tether once at hunting height. I don't really see a need to carry both a tether and a rappel rope.

I'm sure I'm not the first to consider this, but thoughts on this approach?
Did this all last year. I have gone the opposite direction though this year and now climb/hang on a short tether and break out a separate rappel rope at the end and transfer over to it. I did this primarily becuase I had difficulties with frozen ropes after hunting in the rain in early November last year. By being on a short tether I only get it wet when hanging and I keep the rappel rope in the bag where it stays pretty dry. The secondary reason is that I always took the short rope as well in case I got my rappel line stuck in the tree and had to go back up after it. Having the short tether makes a nice backup in case things go wrong.

Branches!!! I’ve found it to be a PITA pulling all that rope through each time I needed to transfer over a branch. I’m currently experimenting with using two short tethers for the the climb up then switching to my 35ft once I’m at hunting hight.

I use on of these so I don't have to pull the rope through to go around branches.
64b1392223fd668c4e36283f0cb93041.jpg

With a carabiner there's a chance of side loading it which is not good. This is what a lot of people are doing when one sticking to go around obstructions. I also tied the link to my loop with a piece of paracord so I don't drop the damn thing.

Anyone know the ins and outs of ce certification for quicklinks? Camp's 5mm link appears to have the same major/minor axis strength as the petzl 7mm, but they differ in certification. Any guesses why?

I usually hook one end of my bow rope to loop end of the rappel rope. Because I already have to use my bow rope. Knocking out 2 birds with one stone

I lower and lift my pack/bow with rappel rope using a poachers knot for the pack handle. Kong triangles are awesome because its hard to cross load them. Tonight my rappel rope got stuck. Without a second tether, I would not have been able to retrieve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back