• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Stick Climb of Shame

jhoward8821

Had my first occurrence having to climb back up the tree to get my rope unstuck from a crotch in the tree.

That really sucked after getting shut out for the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ona related subject, for the first time in 3+ years of one stick climbing I got hung up in a tree last night. Somehow I managed to get my pull down string twisted/knotted around my rappel line when I dropped it down. When I lowered my bow it tensioned all the twists and tightened them around either side of my platform. When I went to rappel I discovered that I had no slack in my rappel line and was unable to descend. It was almost like it was tied to my platform. After a bit of tugging and pulling I finally got enough slack to rappel to the platform. It was dark by that point and I had to get my headlamp out to evaluate the situation from 25 feet up. My pull down string was knotted in two places around my rappel line and the tension of the bow hanging was preventing me from undoing the tangle. I ended up having to pull the bow back up, unhook it from the pull down string and lay it on my platform while I untangled the mess in the dark. On top of that it was rain/snowing pretty hard, and as the OP's situation, it was the perfect end to a deerless sit.

One more climb of shame from last week. After a particularly eventful evening sit I decided to revisit the same tree the following morning. This is something I rarely do. Excited from the previous evening's activity I got an extra early start in the morning planning to be set up and ready at least 45 minutes before shooting light. I made my way to the somewhat unfamiliar area in the dark and started my climb. After 3 moves of the stick I encountered a branch I needed to go around . . . . "I don't remember that branch????" Well, after further evaluation I discovered I was in the wrong tree and I really needed to be in the tree about 3 feet away.

With my rappel gear buried in my pack under all my upper layers I had no choice but to one stick back down, a process I hate with a passion. I hit the ground, move over to the correct tree and reset and start up. Three stick moves into that climb I'm passing a limb from an adjacent sapling and it pulls my platform out of my pack and sends it to the ground . . . . guess what . . .yep. One sticking back down to collect my platform. So much for getting an early start. By the time I was set up I figured I climbed an equivalent of 3 trees. I'm getting too old for this. :tearsofjoy:

One more climb of shame from last week. After a particularly eventful evening sit I decided to revisit the same tree the following morning. This is something I rarely do. Excited from the previous evening's activity I got an extra early start in the morning planning to be set up and ready at least 45 minutes before shooting light. I made my way to the somewhat unfamiliar area in the dark and started my climb. After 3 moves of the stick I encountered a branch I needed to go around . . . . "I don't remember that branch????" Well, after further evaluation I discovered I was in the wrong tree and I really needed to be in the tree about 3 feet away.

With my rappel gear buried in my pack under all my upper layers I had no choice but to one stick back down, a process I hate with a passion. I hit the ground, move over to the correct tree and reset and start up. Three stick moves into that climb I'm passing a limb from an adjacent sapling and it pulls my platform out of my pack and sends it to the ground . . . . guess what . . .yep. One sticking back down to collect my platform. So much for getting an early start. By the time I was set up I figured I climbed an equivalent of 3 trees. I'm getting too old for this. :tearsofjoy:

You win! That’s worse than getting it the next day like I’ll be doing.

@boyne bowhunter ... I keep my rappel rope in a pouch, don't drop it down, and let it play out of the pouch as I go down.... But I have had my pull down twist around my linesman's belt that I let dangle after I disconnect it after hooking up the rappel stuff so I can definitely see how can happen... What is the fix... Just be more mindful as u send it down?

As for ur other example.... Fix is packing ur clothes differently or store ur rappel rope in a different location?

@boyne bowhunter ... I keep my rappel rope in a pouch, don't drop it down, and let it play out of the pouch as I go down.... But I have had my pull down twist around my linesman's belt that I let dangle after I disconnect it after hooking up the rappel stuff so I can definitely see how can happen... What is the fix... Just be more mindful as u send it down?

As for ur other example.... Fix is packing ur clothes differently or store ur rappel rope in a different location?
My issue was wet snow/raining and I was trying to keep both from hanging in the leaves at the base of the tree so I hooked the pull down line to my pack while I was sitting after I had pulled up my bow. When I dropped the rappel line I dropped it through that loop. Then, when I attached it to my bow I put another wrap on it. Lowering the bow just tightened the whole mess up. In the dark I had no clue how screwed up I was making myself. Bottom line is I varied from my normal process and it bit me in the dark. Moral of the story, don't deviate from a process that works.

I just put my HTP up a tree for working on the roof tomorrow…hit the ground with all my Stepps stowed and realized I didn’t even consider putting the pull down rope on it….but hey, it’s in my yard, so I got that going for me.

On the positive side, [mention]boyne bowhunter [/mention] you are making me feel better about myself and dread the number of times I’m gonna be kicking myself in the future both at the same time!! Lol. The wrong tree and then the platform pitcher is really funny too

I use a turkey vest as my pack. The pouch on the vest carries my rappel rope, platform, stick and extra layers. I pack it so that the items are layered in the order I ordinarily would need to use them. Stick on top, platform, extra layers next, rappel rope on the bottom. In a true emergency I could shed the layers and get to the necessary rappel rope but in this instance I didn't deem it an emergency, more of a inconvenience . . . twice. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Had my first occurrence having to climb back up the tree to get my rope unstuck from a crotch in the tree.

That really sucked after getting shut out for the day

Check out the jrb hitch. You’ll have to practice it to get comfortable tying it but once you do rope retrieval is as easy as it can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had one few weeks ago. Left the tree right at end of shooting time so I had some light to work with. I was probably 24' plus up the tree to. Got the base of the tree, and I heard something hit the leafs. My clip came off for the pull down. Got tangled in something on the decent. Well after i untangled everything. Made the climb of shame up to bring it down. A little faster when the rope is up. But still sucked. Kicker was walking to the field edge in front of the truck was a small buck and 2 does hanging out.

Ona related subject, for the first time in 3+ years of one stick climbing I got hung up in a tree last night. Somehow I managed to get my pull down string twisted/knotted around my rappel line when I dropped it down. When I lowered my bow it tensioned all the twists and tightened them around either side of my platform. When I went to rappel I discovered that I had no slack in my rappel line and was unable to descend. It was almost like it was tied to my platform. After a bit of tugging and pulling I finally got enough slack to rappel to the platform. It was dark by that point and I had to get my headlamp out to evaluate the situation from 25 feet up. My pull down string was knotted in two places around my rappel line and the tension of the bow hanging was preventing me from undoing the tangle. I ended up having to pull the bow back up, unhook it from the pull down string and lay it on my platform while I untangled the mess in the dark. On top of that it was rain/snowing pretty hard, and as the OP's situation, it was the perfect end to a deerless sit.
This sounds kind of familiar. Which is why I switched back to the doyle's. Its redundant to have this and the dyna-glyde throw line for rappel line retrieval but I am the king of mishaps like this when I'm first getting back into my routine and so yeah..... I empathize completely.

A gear grappler and you could pick that platform up while in the tree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back