• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick fear factor

sconnieman

So I've been one sticking this year. Its been going ok. Ive noticed a few things.

ive never like climbing trees much. I also like using sticks less. The thing i hate most about one sticking is when I'm actually stepping up and all the slack gets in the line. i don't trust myself to not slip off a step or my hand slipping from back of tree while trying to adjust tether and hitch. this move introduces quite a large pucker factor. Still, i haven't slipped or fallen or come close yet. Also, my stick has a two step aider and i really feel like it should've been 3 steps. I don't like taking very high steps in the webbing and what happens is that the height i need to set my stick ends up pushing on my hitch and sliding me down the rope. Either that or bangs against my kong duck.

Any tips on feeling more secure and locked on to the tree while making the actual climbs? Oddly enough i feel safest when im just hanging off the side of the tree.

I feel your pain. I one-sticked last pre season and throughout the season. I’m confident in my gear and my abilities at height. Having said that, and with some long discussions with flcanopystalker. Ive decided to use my linesman rope after the first move. Yeah, its a pain to climb a three step aider with the linesman on. But I’ve tried to move my tether as i climb and, for me, it just doesn’t seem as safe. Still waiting on a video to show the proper technique, but until then-its the linesman for me. Good luck

I struggled with the same issues when I started and the key really is practice. You’ll get more comfortable the more you climb. Another thing I learned is I don’t like to climb on my 8mm rappel rope. I use a separate 11mm tether, not that I would die using an 8mm and live using an 11, it just works for me.

I do think a 3 step aider is ideal, I can be at about 12 feet after 1 move and a lot of times this is as high as I’ll hunt.

I struggled with the same issues when I started and the key really is practice. You’ll get more comfortable the more you climb. Another thing I learned is I don’t like to climb on my 8mm rappel rope. I use a separate 11mm tether, not that I would die using an 8mm and live using an 11, it just works for me.

I do think a 3 step aider is ideal, I can be at about 12 feet after 1 move and a lot of times this is as high as I’ll hunt.
why do you like the 11mm over the 8mm? what are the pros and cons of that?

I have an unusual, but slightly slower method for handling slack while one sticking. I use a three-step aider and an 18" or 20" stick. I usually only use the bottom aider loop from the ground. Starting from the ground, I set my stick as high as possible and climb it with my linesman belt.

From the top of the stick, I set my rappel rope as high as I can reach and attach my Safeguard. Then I hang from the rope, remove the linesman and move my stick up to a point a little below my rappel rope. With my stick firmly set, I step into my aider. As I straighten my leg (climb/raise my body), I have one hand on the tag end of my rappel rope, pulling slack. I do this until I am standing on my bottom step with about 1" of rope between my Safeguard and the girth hitch.

Now, the slow part. I attach my linesman belt, remove my rappel girth hitch from the tree, and climb to the top step. At this point, I pull slack into my Rappel rope and reset it as high as I can and repeat until I'm at hunting height.

A longer stick than most guys use is necessary for this or you will have too much slack in your line when standing on your bottom step. I know many of you will reject this method; I hope it helps a few of you out.

PS Don't ask for a video as I have no way of doing it.

Last edited:
There's definitely a tradeoff when using a linesman belt during the climb. Yes it is safer but it also makes the climb a bit more fiddly having to advance both a linesman and a tether.

I don't use my linesman belt when I climb because I want to primarily focus on my foot placement and tether movement and don't want the distraction of a linesman getting in the way or causing a tangle or get hung up however momentary it may be. It's one less thing to break my concentration during the climb and to me that's the most important part, staying completely focused and minimizing unnecessary moves. Been doing it this way since I began one sticking three years ago so I'm very comfortable with my technique. Not saying my way is right or safe but I've never had even the slightest hiccup or cause for concern so it works for me.

Sounds like your climbing technique could use some refinement being you said your stick pushes on your hitch and slides you down the rope. Any metal attachment adds weight (madrock, kong, etc) which will cause your bridge to droop and find a way to bang on your stick once slack is introduced in your system. Climbing slow and advancing your tether before stepping up to the next step will minimize this but now you're adding movement while standing stationary in an aider... which is like balancing on the head of a pin imo...So is this the safer way...?

If the two step aider doesn't feel right then try a three step aider or shorten the step spacing on the one you have and see if it feels better. Being comfortable with your stick setup is very important. Climbing up your stick should seem natural and come without effort otherwise it will affect your confidence during the climb.

I have an unusual, but slightly slower method for handling slack while one sticking. I use a three-step aider and an 18" or 20" stick. I usually only use the bottom aider loop from the ground. Starting from the ground, I set my stick as high as possible and climb it with my linesman belt.

From the top of the stick, I set my rappel rope as high as I can reach and attach my Safeguard. Then I hang from the rope and move my stick up to a point a little below my rappel rope. With my stick firmly set, I step into my aider. As I straighten my leg (climb/raise my body), I have one hand on the tag end of my rappel rope, pulling slack. I do this until I am standing on my bottom step with about 1" of rope between my Safeguard and the girth hitch.

Now, the slow part. I attach my linesman belt, remove my rappel girth hitch from the tree, and climb to the top step. At this point, I pull slack into my Rappel rope and reset it as high as I can and repeat until I'm at hunting height.

A longer stick than most guys use is necessary for this or you will have too much slack in your line when standing on your bottom step. I know many of you will reject this method; I hope it helps a few of you out.

PS Don't ask for a video as I have no way of doing it.
Actually, thats pretty much how I’ve started climbing (after the first move from the ground).. the linesman is a pain, but keeping that thing above waist height is the safety factor for me. I’m not racing to beat my PR time to hunt…usually takes longer to pick a tree than to climb it

There's definitely a tradeoff when using a linesman belt during the climb. Yes it is safer but it also makes the climb a bit more fiddly having to advance both a linesman and a tether.

I don't use my linesman belt when I climb because I want to primarily focus on my foot placement and tether movement and don't want the distraction of a linesman getting in the way or causing a tangle or get hung up however momentary it may be. It's one less thing to break my concentration during the climb and to me that's the most important part, staying completely focused and minimizing unnecessary moves. Been doing it this way since I began one sticking three years ago so I'm very comfortable with my technique. Not saying my way is right or safe but I've never had even the slightest hiccup or cause for concern so it works for me.

Sounds like your climbing technique could use some refinement being you said your stick pushes on your hitch and slides you down the rope. Any metal attachment adds weight (madrock, kong, etc) which will cause your bridge to droop and find a way to bang on your stick once slack is introduced in your system. Climbing slow and advancing your tether before stepping up to the next step will minimize this but now you're adding movement while standing stationary in an aider... which is like balancing on the head of a pin imo...So is this the safer way...?

If the two step aider doesn't feel right then try a three step aider or shorten the step spacing on the one you have and see if it feels better. Being comfortable with your stick setup is very important. Climbing up your stick should seem natural and come without effort otherwise it will affect your confidence during the climb.
now that i think of it, ill try running a shorter bridge so my hitch will sit lower on my climbing rope. Cruzr bridges are just kind of a PITA to adjust after loading them

That sounds like a good starting point. Don't be afraid to adjust your gear until you find what works for you. You'll be amazed how much of an effect being comfortable with your gear can help with your confidence level. Always fit the gear to you and not you to the gear.
Good luck bud!

Actually, thats pretty much how I’ve started climbing (after the first move from the ground).. the linesman is a pain, but keeping that thing above waist height is the safety factor for me. I’m not racing to beat my PR time to hunt…usually takes longer to pick a tree than to climb it
I edited my post to make one thing more clear: When I am climbing my aider to my bottom step, my linesman is not connected. Trying to pull slack AND manage a linesman at the same time is beyond my capabilities.

now that i think of it, ill try running a shorter bridge so my hitch will sit lower on my climbing rope. Cruzr bridges are just kind of a PITA to adjust after loading them
While climbing, my adjustable bridge is cinched up as tight as it will go.

I made a couple climbs this morning to figure out the best way to use linesman belt. What worked best for me is to not get my linesman over my tether meaning I still had to advance my tether with each step but it kept my ropes from getting tangled.
Definitely slower but I felt a lot safer and more secure.

what is your technique for advancing both a linemans and a tether? any tips to keep it less clumsy?

I set my tether as high as I possible for each move. As I am climbing, I have one hand on the stick/tree, and the other on the tag end of my tether (under my ascender). As I am using my legs to climb up the tree, I am also pulling the tag end of the rope up. This helps “pull” me up the tree, and keeps the tether tight the whole time. I can’t really fall while doing this, I could just swing into the side of the tree.

Once I get to the bottom step of the stick, I throw my lineman’s around the tree. From there it is much easier to scoot my tether up the tree. The lineman’s helps me get that extra foot or two and eliminates slack on each tether move which is key.

I set my tether as high as I possible for each move. As I am climbing, I have one hand on the stick/tree, and the other on the tag end of my tether (under my ascender). As I am using my legs to climb up the tree, I am also pulling the tag end of the rope up. This helps “pull” me up the tree, and keeps the tether tight the whole time. I can’t really fall while doing this, I could just swing into the side of the tree.

Once I get to the bottom step of the stick, I throw my lineman’s around the tree. From there it is much easier to scoot my tether up the tree. The lineman’s helps me get that extra foot or two and eliminates slack on each tether move which is key.

Wow, I thought I was the only one doing this.

do you use a roll pouch for your rappel line? im just using a cheap amazon pouch for now and always have a bunch of slack coming out
I use an EWO Tall Fleece Pouch. It holds all my rappel/SRT gear and carries well. I pack my rope into it like rock climbers do with a stuff sack.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

why do you like the 11mm over the 8mm? what are the pros and cons of that?
Pros: Easier to handle a bigger rope, doesn’t seem to get caught in bark as much, big solid loop that I like on the tree over my quick link, I don’t need a special roll pouch or anything, I don’t use a madrock or anything to rappel I use a figure 8, maybe I feel safer?, I have an extra rope for some kind of emergency

Cons; I have to carry another rope

Back