• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Stick question…….

Rpd3d

First off if this subject has been discussed pls send me the link. I couldn’t find anything addressing this.

A little background. I currently one stick and hunt off stick/platform combo, using MadRock Safeguard and rappel rope as tether.

Question:
If planning on hunting same tree, what would be some pros and cons of leaving a preset after the first climb using the traditional one sticking method?

You would be able to pull rappel rope to desired height from ground. Set stick, attach MadRock and climb removing slack. Once on top of stick, remove/reset stick, repeat as you go.

Pro:
Would be attached from the ground.

Would be able to manage slack better by removing it as you gain height.

Would eliminate moving rappel rope/tether as you move up tree. This would be beneficial in trees with limbs and no possible way to pinch fingers in fall.

Cons:
Not having a suitable crotch with reaching distance at hunting height. If not you could climb higher to set line, use throw ball, stick or whatever mean to get preset over limb. You could alway set false crotch at hunting height if wanted.

If couldn’t reach crotch from desired hunting height would have to attach pull down rope at ground level.

Some people like tether to be at certain height while hunting. If crotch was to high or low could use secondary tether while hunting.

Could possibly take more time.

………

I know there is a vast amount of knowledge and experience here……… What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I dont use a safeguard but sometimes will leave my rope on the tree overnight if I am going to hunt the same tree the following morning. I use a self tending hitch and one stick up tending slack as I move. Works really well.

You can also skip the one sticking and just climb single rope technique ( SRT) , then attach your stick at the top. It's not very hard. You could use your madrock and a Garda hutch foot loop. It's handy to have in your tool box anyway.

I do think just rope climbing would be a better solution on the second set. Downside would be needing to spend some money. I've one sticked with preset rope in the yard and it works well on the right tree. Gets a bit interesting if the tree has lean.

You can also skip the one sticking and just climb single rope technique ( SRT) , then attach your stick at the top. It's not very hard. You could use your madrock and a Garda hutch foot loop. It's handy to have in your tool box anyway.
That route didnt work as well when I was using a RCH and fleece saddle combo. It worked and I did it a few times but it was easier to one stick back up. Different story with a regular saddle, easier to leave the platform or stand and just use the foot loop to go back up.

I quite often one stick back up if I have to get down during a hunt. I just leave my rappel rope in place and take my stick with me when I rappel down. When I go back up I just attach the safeguard and one stick back up the long rappel line. Its really quote doable but there are two downsides.

The first is more of an inconvenience . . . the rope stretch even with static line on 20-25' of rope is pretty significant. You will notice the set back when you reweight the line and it does limit how far you can move each time especially early in the climb.

The second is a little more difficut to overcome. On a really long tether you're more of a pendulum so there's a lot less control about how you position yourself to the tree, especially if there's any lean at all. Controlling you position with respect to the tree is nowhere near the same off of 20 ft of rope as it is off of 6 feet. This can make moving and reattaching the stick a bit more challenging.

That said, it it possible and I do it a few times every year when I have to get out of the tree for whatever reason in mid hunt.

Question:
If planning on hunting same tree, what would be some pros and cons of leaving a preset after the first climb using the traditional one sticking method?

You would be able to pull rappel rope to desired height from ground. Set stick, attach MadRock and climb removing slack. Once on top of stick, remove/reset stick, repeat as you go.

Pro: you can quickly set and climb your rope instead of climbing the tree.

Con: You have to climb the rope instead of climbing the tree. Which really isn't a con.

If you don't have a limb at the right height you'll have to either set a false crotch or set your pre-set over the "wrong" limb. Or climb to your pre-set and 1-stick or 2TC up from there, which isn't often discussed but is a valid option. You'll want to set a second tether to act as a re-direct, or for comfort.

You'll have to bing a grip of paracord in the woods with you, and remember to collect it all at the end of the season. Which isn't really a con, just something to consider.

Back