• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick questions...

dirtroadhound

Dec 1, 2019
Got a question, why do y'all use the mini-stick for the one stick method and not a regular length stick? I understand the reason for the cam cleat mod but why a short stick, just for packability? Can you use any stick or is the muddy pro or beast stick preferred over others for some reason by the one stick guys? Thanks

slonstdy

SH Member
Oct 10, 2018
I use a 24" stick with a cam cleat but have tried an 18" stick and didn't like it. I found that when I stand on the bottom step to raise my tether I orient my legs behind the top steps ( so my knees are between the tree and top step) which allows me to "free stand" and maintain my balance without relying on either the tether or LB for support. When I tried it on the 18" stick the top step would rest against my calves which I found painful.
Like my wife said "what's the big deal, it's only six inches..."

slonstdy

SH Member
Oct 10, 2018
You can only reach so high while sitting in your saddle to re position the stick and because all you need to reach is your attachment method, whether it's a cam cleat, rope mode etc any additional length will be lower than the attachment point and essentially useless. So yes for easier packability but also for practicality and weight reduction.

Reactions: EricS

Squirrels

Oct 29, 2017
You can only reach so high while sitting in your saddle to re position the stick and because all you need to reach is your attachment method, whether it's a cam cleat, rope mode etc any additional length will be lower than the attachment point and essentially useless. So yes for easier packability but also for practicality and weight reduction.

This is why I do it. Mine is 14”

dirtroadhound

Dec 1, 2019
I want to try this method, should I cut one of my LW sticks or try it out full length and if I need to cut it what length should I cut it too? I am 6"3, not sure if that matters.

Hailey_Phillips

SH Member
Oct 23, 2016
Wesson, MS
I agree with the statements above. When I was one sticking, I preferred a short stick for packability. A short stick with a single step aider gave me full length stick function, in a smaller package. The statement about where the top step falls in relation to your leg, like hooking the top step behind your knee while standing is definitely a good point, you want your method to be comfortable. The cam cleat isn’t required by any means, I did it with a cam buckle and rope mod pretty easily, but I could see the cam cleat being the same difference in a prussik and Ropeman. With that said, Muddy sticks are popular for one sticking because they have a lot of key features to make it easier. Short length, cam cleat, and double steps. Muddy are a touch heavier than some, but if you’re only carrying one, it’s fine. I have cut down LW sticks and I don’t care for one sticking with single sided steps, not impossible, just not as easy or comfortable. If I’m gonna one stick, I’ll still rather take my steel DIY 20” double step stick I made that’s about 3-4lbs.

Reactions: Glenn

Hailey_Phillips

SH Member
Oct 23, 2016
Wesson, MS
I want to try this method, should I cut one of my LW sticks or try it out full length and if I need to cut it what length should I cut it too? I am 6"3, not sure if that matters.

I would try it full length first before you do an irreversible mod. Cbigbear has a video on YouTube one sticking with a full length stick. It was the first time I ever saw it done.

dirtroadhound

Dec 1, 2019
Thanks for all the information. Might just buy one stick and try it. If I like it I can sell the lw sticks. Thanks again.

Benman

Jan 23, 2019
Try it with a full length stick first. Don’t forget the aider is essential.

Benman

Jan 23, 2019
The other thing to remember is like any other method you may find a different way that works best for you. I have an 18” DIY stick, a regular Helium stick, and an xstand Mantis stick that all get used for one sticking. Each works better FOR ME in certain situations. Practice practice practice and find what you like

Reactions: Glenn

Hailey_Phillips

SH Member
Oct 23, 2016
Wesson, MS
I might also add, if you haven’t seen them already, watch @Cain and @boyne bowhunter video on one sticking, much easier. I did it the first time based off cbigbear video and a RC harness, I tried a few times and it wasn’t for me. Then after seeing their videos and them sitting back in their saddle while climbing I decided to try again and it made it much easier and faster. Hanging in a RC harness isn’t terrible, but it holds you at a weird angle.

emrah.oruc.7

Apr 11, 2019
I’m using a 22” Hawk Helium with Amsteel daisy chain. My platform is part of my stick. The picture shows my run and gun setup. In the video I’m demonstrating using a stick without the platform but it’s the same thing.

e2c010e27df973d981a3e202392691be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GiGisDaddy

Dec 18, 2018
Mississippi
I’m using a 22” Hawk Helium with Amsteel daisy chain. My platform is part of my stick. The picture shows my run and gun setup. In the video I’m demonstrating using a stick without the platform but it’s the same thing.

e2c010e27df973d981a3e202392691be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am sure you have told us but where did you get platform top?

NikoTheBowHunter

Dec 20, 2018
Cottage Grove, WI
Why a short stick? Weight and packability.

Weight - my custom stick weights just over 2lbs with a 9 ft rope attached vs a single stick from the store which comes in around 5lbs with strap and buckle.

Packability - much easier to attach my 19” stick to my pack vs the 36” one I had been practicing with. Not to mention, when crawling and bending over to get through rough terrain it’s much easier with a smaller stick than a big ol long one that seems to catch everything it comes into contact with.

Recurveaholic

Dec 23, 2018
Does anyone who uses 1 stick just use the stick for a platform. And if so how comfortable is it?
I do and 3 bolts! That gets me all the way around the tree! You can stand on the top of the stick and if you need to lean you can use the bolts!

Sheldon

Oct 30, 2018
I do and 3 bolts! That gets me all the way around the tree! You can stand on the top of the stick and if you need to lean you can use the bolts!

Was practicing this weekend. Was wearing knee pads and seemed like using the bottom steps as a foot rest “platform” and resting your knees on the top steps while sitting was very comfortable. Only did it for 5 minutes or so at a time thou so not sure how it would be over time. Tried moving around the tree by collapsing one knee and keeping pressure on the step with the other. Once again seemed to work and didn’t feel like it was going to kick out. Would be great if this could replace the platform. One less thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bwhana