• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Stick Technique

tracker12

For those of you using a figure 8 to rappel what are you using for your ascend. Tether with Ropeman or Kong or something else.

For those of you using a figure 8 to rappel what are you using for your ascend. Tether with Ropeman or Kong or something else.
Tether with a prussic. You could use a mechanical ascender as well but they can and will bite through the sheath if you fall on them with slack. The prussic would likely slide some and melt some from the testing I’ve seen. The safety game while one sticking is mitigating slack regardless of what you use.
Others are using a kong slide, which is designed to reduce fall impact forces.

A friction hitch with my homemade hitch hiker.
I have to put mole hair on the cheeks for camo.Screenshot_20220404-184940_Gallery.jpg

I use my 32’ rappel rope as my main tether as well for ascending. I am down to only using figure 8 or my SafeGuard. I actually prefer the 8. anyways, if I rappel with the 8, I use it to ascend. I put on a 5.5 short prussik backup and a single soft block on the 8. I one-stick and use ropeman on every move once the stick is set to ascend.

It’s louder than using the safeguard. The 8 tends to ting off the platform often if you’re not paying super close attention, but it’s a way out relying on anything mechanical.

In the pic, this is without the single soft lock, but it still works. It just requires you to make sure your prussik is pulled up before you do your move if one-sticking. Note, I would usually use an autoblock, but the short prussik grabs the resc tech quicker and can’t reach the 8 to get caught in it in an emergency.
AE993DD0-9835-4F45-9FE8-AB16F40B435F.jpeg

A Kong to ascend. Switch over to my figure 8 when I get to height. I do that early, so it is already set up.

Distal hitch with tender to ascend. When descend, switch to figure 8 (and different carabiner) and move distal to backup. Attached the whole time and no mechanical for possible failure or noise.

Went out and tried out the new stick this evening and used a Tether and prussic. It grabbed to much for me and was a pain moving it up. I do have a couple other tethers with a Ropeman and one with Kong. Plan to play with them tomorrow. I like using the 8 to rappel.

Most friction hitches will tend to grab like that unless on a double rope system where it only sees half of the load.
Devices like Rope Wrench, Hitch Hiker or a Bulldog Bone have the same effect of sharing the load so the hitch tends like butter and decends effortlessly.

I still use the 8 coming down. Not because I need to but because I can.
It saves on hitch cord wear.

A Hitch Hicker type is not hard to make unless you get into machining parts.

The thing is to select strong parts for your build.

Brocky posted a few awhile back.

I should add that when I one stick I ascend and then pay out some line to advance.
With just a hitch I found it a pain sometimes having to massage open the hitch.
With a simple device this is eliminated.

Everyone has thier preferences. I wouldn't trade mine for any Kong or Madrock.

Screenshot_20220405-092925_Gallery.jpg

Don't forget my beloved Roperunner! Slickest ascending and descending hybrid device out there!

My only issue with his figure 8 rappel is that it has to be attached to the rope if you want to come down.
If you're ascending and disaster happens (stick falls and you slam into the tree), are you going to be able to create a bight of rope to attach your figure 8 to in order to come down with your hanging weight on your rope?
You may have to practice coming down just on friction hitches alone. With some rope it's not too bad, but other rope can be almost impossible to release under load.
There are ways to do it, you just better have a plan because it takes some thinking.
With the madrock attached already, you just regain your composure and come down the tree.

This is one area that I need to work on and develop this summer. Last season I used my ropeman to ascend and for use at hunting height. I then switched over to a GriGri for rappelling. I like the GriGri for descent, however for climbing it's not something I'm currently comfortable with as it releases every time weight is let off.

The downside to using a Ropeman or Kong Duck is that if something does happen and you need to descend your adding an additional challenge to the mix. I do carry a lineman's rope with me while ascending, which I figure worst case I would need to transfer my weight to that in order to release the ropeman and switch to the GriGri. I'm also trying to avoid buying another device, however I'm beginning to think that may be my only option as what I currently have work great for what they are designed to do, but don't do both tasks that I'm asking of them.

This is one area that I need to work on and develop this summer. Last season I used my ropeman to ascend and for use at hunting height. I then switched over to a GriGri for rappelling. I like the GriGri for descent, however for climbing it's not something I'm currently comfortable with as it releases every time weight is let off.

The downside to using a Ropeman or Kong Duck is that if something does happen and you need to descend your adding an additional challenge to the mix. I do carry a lineman's rope with me while ascending, which I figure worst case I would need to transfer my weight to that in order to release the ropeman and switch to the GriGri. I'm also trying to avoid buying another device, however I'm beginning to think that may be my only option as what I currently have work great for what they are designed to do, but don't do both tasks that I'm asking of them.
Same boat…..cept I’m using an ATC.
At some point I’ll be on JRB ascender hitch…..been chasing Turkeys and I have no time for ropes right now!

Hey bub,
Try getting the turkeys to come to you.
They are hard to catch.
Don't ask me how I know. Lol

My only issue with his figure 8 rappel is that it has to be attached to the rope if you want to come down.
If you're ascending and disaster happens (stick falls and you slam into the tree), are you going to be able to create a bight of rope to attach your figure 8 to in order to come down with your hanging weight on your rope?
You may have to practice coming down just on friction hitches alone. With some rope it's not too bad, but other rope can be almost impossible to release under load.
There are ways to do it, you just better have a plan because it takes some thinking.
With the madrock attached already, you just regain your composure and come down the tree.
You carry a screw in or strap on step if that happens. Works well I have practiced it.

Back