• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick?

TommyDee

I hunt high stem count thick stuff in NJ public, and my lonewolfs are too long, snagging everything. Got busted at least once that I know of getting in. Was going to cut and mod my 3 with double steps, etc, and build a fourth.....but I’m thinking one step. After doing homework, I see that EWO pretty much has a custom stick and a rappel kit that match a consensus setup based on my homework. Their stick has a 2-3 step aider and OOAL platform on top, camlock, etc. It’s pricey, but not unfair.

I’ve got some funds available, any reason I shouldn’t just buy the rappel kit (has madrock, link, etc) and the custom 1 stick from EWO, and start practicing for the fall?

PS, I like some DIY, but for me time is valued more than money, so time in the garage fiddling with sticks would rather be time scouting or in a tree for me. Almost feel like this is cheating, skipping al the diy stuff, but I’d rather scout climb and hunt.

Let me know thoughts on this plan. They’re 6 weeks out but who cares!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if you know for sure you’re gonna rappel, might as well buy the kit. You’ll get all that stuff eventually anyway. I’m thinking about also getting an ultimate one stick too. Wanting to give that a shot again. I do get the DIY and not wanting to do it too. I got that DIY stick thing out of my system beginning of last year when I tried a set of the disappointing shirt hake heliums. At this point I’d rather just buy something that works and spend more time scouting and practicing with the gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested in the Trophyline Wingman that's slated to come out this summer. There's a lot of options to consider.

Nothing wrong with buying and trying instead of the diy route.
Do what works for you and don't worry what us interweb fools think.
You're buying a quality kit and can sell it easily here if you decide it's not for you.
Good luck and be safe!

I currently use wild edge steps with knaider and swaider, but I’ve also been thinking about this. I think I’m probably going to buy the repel kit once he has canyon c IV in stock and think about the one sticking... figure I’d like to repel whether or not I end up trying a new climbing method.

I have the Ultimate 1 Stick, it's top quality. If you are going to buy one you need to figure out your step distance. I'm 68 years old and find I have a hard time trying to reach my 20" sticks so I bought it with a three step aider at 15" spacing. This is fine for mild weather but when you need heavy clothes the 15" step is difficult for me, so I ordered a double step with a sewn in three step aider and 12" spacing and a scout that I'm going to put on my LW stick for heavy clothes. One thing I want to mention is the coating on the scout is awesome but it's very rough on the bare hands I ended up wrapping the outside edge with para cord.
As far as rappelling it's awesome! get the kit!

Go for it. Try it out and see if you like it. If you decide to make any changes you can sell what you have pretty easily on here.

Back