• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick

Dressedtokill

Lot of good info on my last post about aider climbing and I keep trying to do this method and it works but it’s slow!!! The more I think about this the one stick might be the way! Any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My $00.02. Just keep a back up plan in place to get yourself down in case you drop the stick. I think a one stick is viable. But a red squirrel aider or something similar would give me piece of mind.

Lot of good info on my last post about aider climbing and I keep trying to do this method and it works but it’s slow!!! The more I think about this the one stick might be the way! Any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's OK. My opinion is if you carry one stick, you might as well carry at least a couple more. A five step aider on a 20 inch stick puts the top step about 7.5 feet off the ground. If I was carrying a stick, I would consider carrying at least 3 sticks. This puts you at 22.5 feet off the ground. Then single stick climb as needed. This is a good balance and keeps the bigger movements higher in the tree. A 1.5 lb climbing stick makes this option a bit more inticing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 X. I used three sticks and had zero problems getting over 22 feet with a 6 step aider. I could get 110 inches on the first stick using one stick to place it high and about 90 inches on the next two... Which is over 24 feet.
I do not find climbing a six step aider that slow. It is faster than using multiple WE steps.
I am 60 years old and have zero problems with aider if you have proper form when climbing. Stay up right and keep your hands on the tree or on the stick above. Make sure your foot is fully inserted in the aider.. More issues with the WE steps. But I keep practicing with them.

Back