• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One-sticked 1/2 way up tonight...

phatkaw

SH Member
Don't rat me out to the Safety Police but this tree was a Doozie to climb!
I've looked up this tree a couple times and knew it'd be tough to climb but it's in a great location in a really thick woods with a pile of deer in it...
Tonight I figured I'd give it a shot.
I made it up three moves with the stick (one too many). Everything kept getting tangled up in all the branches and my limb saw was still in my pack even though I told myself to put it in my pocket before I started the climb. (I forgot)
So 18 or so feet wasn't nearly high enough to give me the view I wanted so I just left the stick and kept climbing. (the old fashioned way)
Well, I would'a went a little higher but my pack pull-up rope (32') was tugging pretty hard on my saddle so I just tethered in there where I had a branch for each foot.
Shortly after I left the stick behind I caught movement about 65 yards to my right. All I could see was legs at first and another set following. Both turned out to be doe and they hung around at 80 to 90 yards away for quite a while. Too thick where they were to even think about a shot with my .44.
I wasn't worried about bringing my pack up other than my dang saw! I wanted to cut a path on my way back down in case I climb this tree again. (pretty sure I will)
So after ripping the pack up through the jungle below me I figured that'd I'd put my coat on since I went through all the trouble to hoist it up. I didn't really have a spot to hang the pack because I planned on cutting off this one stinking brach that was keeping me from being able to spin 180° so I could face behind me... Well, I got my coat on and cut the branch. So, I have the pack jammed between my right shin and the tree and here comes a third deer. At my 6 o-clock! Just great!
I knew it wasn't gonna work but I tried it anyways. I reached down and jerked the pack loose and passed it around my back and hung it on a branch out to my left. Once I was sure it wasn't gonna fall I looked behind me and sure enough, she was watching me! (I knew I'd be skylined)
I watched her watch me for a minute or so and figured 'what the heck' I might as well spin my tether around the other side of the tree and gently wrap myself around to face her... It worked! I can't believe it!
So now she's at my 11 o'clock and I draw my revolver. Sure as $h!t as soon as I get my croshairs settling down she turns and snorts and wanders off a little bit were I can't get a clear enough shot... Can you believe the nerve of that Deer! I've passed up soo many deer this year and I was actually gonna shoot this one and SHE TAUNTED ME!

*edit* I'm trying to load a few pictures but my phone isn't cooperating...

EC377A87-DBF2-4ACC-AB22-925C2EF91F9B.pngE88E7937-9F2E-496D-821A-0AFDFE8F96AF.pngE5B4E5AE-37AA-4339-BDF4-980365EB591D.png

If you zoom in on the one picture you can see my one-stick about 15’ below me... lol
You gotta do what you gotta do!

Last edited:
You need to adjust your camera - you need to darken it or something because what is all that white stuff?
I remember WAY back when I lived in Ohio it would snow during the winters, but here in Tampa...yeah, you need to adjust your camera.
I hunted this past Sunday and when I walked out it was something like the low 70's.

Good job on getting on the deer. I love reading stories of people who figure it out and have a great time doing it.

What a trail intersection you're looking over!!! I'd be back there.

Looks and sounds like a great spot. I'd be back in that tree again real soon if I was you.

I just started 12hr nightshifts...
I don't think I'll get much hunting in in the next week?

I did come home this morning and get a shower and took my daughters. 243 for a walk.
I saw 4 doe and 2 bucks. The 2 bucks chased 2 does right next to me pretty much.
The bigger buck was a nice young 7pt and the other was like a 5pt or something? (didn't pay him much attention)
I had the gun right on the one big doe and didn't pull the trigger. I don't know were it came from but I just don't wanna shoot anything this year it seems? Weird!

Last edited:
Definitely a ton of branches in that tree. I could probably just take one or two section of those stick ladders and leave them on the bottom of that tree for good. Then all I'd need was a couple steps at height to maneuver around for shots.

Not many tree options in that little micro-clearcut.

Back