• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One sticking/rappelling

SETXsportsman6

Maybe I'm just getting too deep into this stuff. But the more videos I watch the more I want to try one sticking/rappelling. I'm a big guy. 298 lbs and slowly losing weekly since starting keto. I mainly want to rappell, but was hoping to try out one sticking along with it. I think for simplicity I'd like to either do a modded hawk helium with a muddy pro cam cleat system or just use a muddy pro stick. Does anyone have any reccomendations as far as gear for rappelling? I was considering going with a bigger diameter rope for added safety due to the beer gut I currently possess. I just watched @Red Beard's video and that pretty well convinced me to atleast give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would point you towards Dano's stuff. He has everything you need. I would also encourage you to get a larger diameter rope if it's something you are open to. Oplux is a very popular option but at 8mm it eliminates the possibility of most mechanical decenders/ascenders that could be very beneficial. You cant beat the packability of Oplux but the versatility of other rope is something of importance if you plan on using things like a safeguard or gri-gri ...etc. I know guys push the specs but it doesn't seem safe to use devices outside their recommended safety parameters.

One sticking is alot easier than you might think. I just pieced together my first stick and got all the rappelling gear I need. A few practice runs made me realize how great of a system it can be. I'm still very new but I discovered climbing up is alot easier than one sticking down, I know it will get easier with time but rappelling is an awesome technique.

Maybe I'm just getting too deep into this stuff. But the more videos I watch the more I want to try one sticking/rappelling. I'm a big guy. 298 lbs and slowly losing weekly since starting keto. I mainly want to rappell, but was hoping to try out one sticking along with it. I think for simplicity I'd like to either do a modded hawk helium with a muddy pro cam cleat system or just use a muddy pro stick. Does anyone have any reccomendations as far as gear for rappelling? I was considering going with a bigger diameter rope for added safety due to the beer gut I currently possess. I just watched @Red Beard's video and that pretty well convinced me to atleast give it a shot.

Hey bud, I'm in Mont Belvieu and I SRT and have tried the one stick method with my heliums w/ rope mod. If you want we can schedule a day to meetup and try my gear if you want.

Hey bud, I'm in Mont Belvieu and I SRT and have tried the one stick method with my heliums w/ rope mod. If you want we can schedule a day to meetup and try my gear if you want.

Hey disregard my message back. Yeah I'm right around Beaumont/Orange. We'll have to set something up one day soon.

Hello,

I'm 51 years old (today) and 5'4" and 187lbs. So what i'm saying is that I'm as round as I am tall...and I one stick. I use a muddy pro with a three step aider that was made by Mike Isbell at Backwoods gear...great set up. I use the oplux rope with a mad rock safeguard and an auto lock rope that is 6mm trc. I have been able to get 30' with the one stick method. While the oplux rope is 8.0 mm the safeguard is used for rescue rigging of 8.1. However for rappel it is supposed to be rated at 8.9mm and that's why I use an ATC autolock rope that is TRC and is 6mm. It works great and a great backup for rappelling. I can help you if you need any questions answered.

First congrats on your weight loss.

@boyne bowhunter has a one sticking video titled one sticking for geriatrics or something like that.
I tried rappelling last year using spurs to climb and determined it was just easier to put the spurs back on and climb down.
Watching @ckossuth and @Squirrels at saddle palooza using their setup they made it look easy enough that I would like to revisit it.
I used 9mm htp and it was bulky. It’s amazing how much smaller 8mm is. The safety factor is really more in your mind. The bigger rope is a little easier to control but Oplux is plenty strong. It would be crazy tough to get slack in a rope you are rappelling from.
If you intend on climbing the rope the larger. Diameter is easier.

Hello,

I'm 51 years old (today) and 5'4" and 187lbs. So what i'm saying is that I'm as round as I am tall...and I one stick. I use a muddy pro with a three step aider that was made by Mike Isbell at Backwoods gear...great set up. I use the oplux rope with a mad rock safeguard and an auto lock rope that is 6mm trc. I have been able to get 30' with the one stick method. While the oplux rope is 8.0 mm the safeguard is used for rescue rigging of 8.1. However for rappel it is supposed to be rated at 8.9mm and that's why I use an ATC autolock rope that is TRC and is 6mm. It works great and a great backup for rappelling. I can help you if you need any questions answered.

Happy birthday, sir!

I picked up some C-IV 9mm rope from DanO to use with my Safeguard.

Hello,

Happy birthday! I will get with you hopefully tomorrow if I find myself back on the forum.

I am 6’2”, 250 during last hunting season... down to 232 as of this morning (also doing keto). First, congrats on your weight loss! Second, I used a BlueWater 11.6mm (7/16) rope last year that I SRT climbed and rappelled with. I used that rope because I am very comfortable with the size of it (it’s military size line). I used a Petzl Rig for ascension and rappel. This year I have moved on to the C-IV rope (9mm). Nothing wrong with the other rope, I just wanted to upgrade.

That being said, I am selling my Petzl Rig and I have a little over 100’ of unused BlueWater 7/16 rope I can package you a deal with. The rope does weight a bit more than the 9mm (still much less than sticks) and the stiffness of the rope is a lot higher on the thicker one.

Obviously my sales pitch isn’t great as I’m upgrading to a smaller diameter rope, but I just wanted to be honest with you and my personal experience. If you are going to go with a thicker line, the Petzl Rig is the best option out there. Is an EXCELLENT piece of equipment,but is only rated down to10mm and my new 9mm rope slides right through it.

Back