• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Sticking with a Daisy Chain

LarkHarrison243

Has anyone tried one sticking with daisy chained amsteel? in your opinion is it more or less difficult then with a cam buckle strap?

Has anyone tried one sticking with daisy chained amsteel? in your opinion is it more or less difficult then with a cam buckle strap?
Looks like at least this guy has... I want to try it his way but I'm not ballsy enough to do it without a linesman belt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Less difficult. The daisy chain remains looped around the tree - you’re not gonna drop it. There’s nothing to undo, like a cam buckle. Just pull up on it and reset it. I can’t imagine it getting any easier. Could easily do it in the dark, with both eyes tied behind your head, your shoes on backwards, while picking your ears. I think Geico and their caveman even did an amsteel one-sticking commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is tethered in the entire time, no need for a LB when one sticking.
There's a section of video where he goes around a branch and undoes the tether without a belt. Otherwise I agree.

Ah I might have confused this video where he doesn't do that with a previous where he did.

There's a section of video where he goes around a branch and undoes the tether without a belt. Otherwise I agree.

Ah I might have confused this video where he doesn't do that with a previous where he did.

If he did then I agree, attached at all times. I did not watch the entire thing. I watched about 3 moves.

I’ve done it, rather poorly, with both. It’s faster for me to undo it an then place it higher then re-attach it higher up the tree. I haven’t mastered the slide it up the trunck still attached move yet. That’s a little easier with the cam strap because you can get it looser.

Where does one come about purchasing a 6-7’ section of amsteel daisy chain?

I made one. It wasn’t fun at first.

But it’s doable. I think mine ended up being about 5 feet-ish. I plan on making another after the season, it’ll be a little better now that I have that one under my belt.

Last edited:
I just had a thought. Might be dumb and might not be worth the weight but here goes.

Back story: I butchered a green garden hose for the stirrup in my aider/SRT foot loop and have several yard left lol.

So what if you thread the amsteel through a 1-2 foot piece of garden hose and position that on back of the tree or the side of stick where you would normally grab the Amsteel to move it up?

My thought is the hose would move up the tree much easier but still grab when weight is put on it.

Less difficult. The daisy chain remains looped around the tree - you’re not gonna drop it. There’s nothing to undo, like a cam buckle. Just pull up on it and reset it. I can’t imagine it getting any easier. Could easily do it in the dark, with both eyes tied behind your head, your shoes on backwards, while picking your ears. I think Geico and their caveman even did an amsteel one-sticking commercial.

Looks like I am going to try something new in the offseason then.

This past season I started out 1 sticking with a cam buckle strap then moved to versa strap then moved to Amstel daisy chain. It was much easier than the other two methods.

I just made my own daisy chain it took about 30 minutes.

Ultimately I ended up using 3 short sticks and a knaider and swaider.
The last method was the easiest for me to get my platform 18-19ft off the ground

Have you tried a cam cleat?

Why aren’t you keen on it? You would be using appropriate rope even with the cam cleat.

Increased potential for failure/error with a cam cleat. I feel safer with a knot or loop. With the daisy chain, it stays looped around the tree during its entire period of use. Less margin for error. The rope around the versa button can stay looped around the tree the entire time as well. Less margin for error. The cam cleat requires removing the rope from a spring mechanism. You can love it and think it’s the best ever. And that’s fine. I just don’t prefer it, and I have a stronger belief and greater confidence in the versa button system. Thankfully we participate in an activity whose industry provides choices.

Increased potential for failure/error with a cam cleat. I feel safer with a knot or loop. With the daisy chain, it stays looped around the tree during its entire period of use. Less margin for error. The rope around the versa button can stay looped around the tree the entire time as well. Less margin for error. The cam cleat requires removing the rope from a spring mechanism. You can love it and think it’s the best ever. And that’s fine. I just don’t prefer it, and I have a stronger belief and greater confidence in the versa button system. Thankfully we participate in an activity whose industry provides choices.

Absolutely use what your are comfortable with.

Back