• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Opening day Massachusetts saddle doe

mprooch

First saddle kill. Two observations from this hunt: I stopped chasing climbing methods and have a dialed in two stick and moveable aider with rappelling down. Love it.

the other is I need to shoot more from my platform at height. I’ve shot a lot from it but not enough weak side, 0600 position, and closer than 20 yards. This pack of does came in from my weak side, I took the shot from the 0600 position at about 15 yards. All sorts of weird geometry. Coulda been a cleaner shot. She didn’t go far and died pretty quick though.

First saddle kill. Two observations from this hunt: I stopped chasing climbing methods and have a dialed in two stick and moveable aider with rappelling down. Love it.

the other is I need to shoot more from my platform at height. I’ve shot a lot from it but not enough weak side, 0600 position, and closer than 20 yards. This pack of does came in from my weak side, I took the shot from the 0600 position at about 15 yards. All sorts of weird geometry. Coulda been a cleaner shot. She didn’t go far and died pretty quick though.
Congrats. Which zone was your doe tag?

I’ll be out there Saturday to do the same! Get another tag and get back to it! Congrats!!!!
Thanks! Still have two antlered tags and this zone is unlimited antlerless this year. Gonna hold off on buying another one just yet and focus on a buck through the rut. Does are thick around here these days. Good luck Saturday.

Thanks! Still have two antlered tags and this zone is unlimited antlerless this year. Gonna hold off on buying another one just yet and focus on a buck through the rut. Does are thick around here these days. Good luck Saturday.
The unlimited tags for 10 this year is the only reason I’m making the 2 hour drive haha

I’m also going in completely blind. Never step foot on a piece of woods out there in my
Life haha

I’m also going in completely blind. Never step foot on a piece of woods out there in my
Life haha
Where are you driving from?

im 2 hours west of zone 10. Getting a doe permit in the western side of the state is like pulling teeth.

They are unlimited out on the Vineyard, too. Dontcha wanna drive all that way and take the ferry over, lol!

Where are you driving from?

im 2 hours west of zone 10. Getting a doe permit in the western side of the state is like pulling teeth.
Yea I hear ya I’m in Hardwick I usually get lucky getting a tag out this way for either 6 or 7 though

They are unlimited out on the Vineyard, too. Dontcha wanna drive all that way and take the ferry over, lol!

and then hunt without scouting surrounded by overpriced houses, and have to take the ferry back the same day!

I’ll stick to the big woods. I’d rather walk long distances!

Last edited:
and then hunt without scouting surrounded by overpriced houses, and have to take the ferry back the same day!

I’ll stick to the big woods. I’d rather walk long distances!
I’ve had a few bad encounters the last 2 years so I could use a couple dumb does to get my moral back up! But I too enjoy hunting the big woods. I have an 800 acre parcel of private that I can’t wait to get in every year

Back