• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Opinions, 4 hawks or 3 and a cayg aider

I have a 3 pack of the new heliums ordered and am debating on trying to find a 4th or making/getting a cayg aider. I have lw minis with alders and I’m really not a fan of the aiders, especially on the way down. But it looks like I could get higher with 3 sticks and a cayg plus it would be lighter than 4 sticks. Btw, this sticks will be cut down. What’s your guys’ opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think with the aider, kinda like anything else we do, ya gotta practice, practice, practice. My bottom stick has had a two or three step aider for some years. This year (first in the saddle!) I'm going to add the one step moveable aider (from the top of the stick) technique. Got the stirrup marked with reflective tape/Paracord. Practice, go slow, check and recheck, and stay attached to the tree. Good luck

What’s your guys’ opinions?

After trying climbing sticks and wild edge steps, I settled on 3 Hawk Heliums and cut them down. I tried 1 and 3 step aiders. I didn't like the 3 step aider. The 1 step aider was okay, but still swayed too much for my taste and was a little more effort to make sure your foot was in it correctly. What was the most solid for me was the Knaider Swaider method (see video link below). Pretty rock solid using the sticks, and I can get plenty high with just 3 sticks using this method.

Back