• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux alternative for rappel rope?

laltaffer

So I have my madrock and most of everything else I need. Seems like most of the good 8mm ropes are out of stock. Anyone got an alternative or want to sell a 40ft rope? I'm just itching to try this method out..

Sterling Canyon C-IV is my preference. It’s rated within SafeGuard specs. DanO is the ManO should have some.

Looks like @DanO is out of stock but I can find it other places. What are people doing to create their loop if it's not being spliced?

Im interested in alternatives too. I have found some escape ropes that are less money and come in 40’ sections. Are escape ropes a good idea. Many are for firefighting applications. Im no rope expert

Looks like @DanO is out of stock but I can find it other places. What are people doing to create their loop if it's not being spliced?
Figure 8 on a bight, or scaffold knot to a rated delta link.

I like my delta link, I have less coiling in my rope since I started using it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Delta link in place of the quick link? Forgive the noob question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delta or quick link works. I personally have a delta, and they don't make non climbing rated delta links so you can't screw it up.

Delta link is a triangular quick link, so yes. People use them because there's concern that a oval quick link might pull through some types of knots. I have just a few uses of an oval quick link under my belt, inspect the knot each time, and have seen no pull through concern. But your experience may vary.

Im interested in alternatives too. I have found some escape ropes that are less money and come in 40’ sections. Are escape ropes a good idea. Many are for firefighting applications. Im no rope expert

My firefighter escape ropes have all been listed as a 1-time use for bail out situations

Currently I have 40’ sterling 7.5 rit bail out rope in my FF pant pocket

I’m using oplux for hunting

The delta link is a great option. I use a delta link on a scaffold knot as well. Just make sure you tie the knot correctly.

Don’t skimp on rope. You’re going to save pennies to potentially risk your life. Just get a quality climbing rated rope.

I may be wrong but I believe escape ropes are labeled as one time use due to the circumstances they'd be used in. They're made with similar materials and have similar ratings across the board. You'll have to compare and use your best judgment.
I also think there is a negligible difference between an 8mm rope to a 10mm rope or maybe even a little larger than that diameter.

Last edited:
Begs the question if they have a 1 time use rating because of an expectation of fire exposure. Sorta like food that gets thrown in a dumpster at grocery stores because its 1 day over expiration even tho its perfectly fine. I say this because i worked for a major food retailer years ago.

There might be sharp edges or maybe broken glass at the bail out place also, in an emergency it might not seem important to mitigate.

I may be wrong but I believe escape ropes are labeled as one time use due to the circumstances they'd be used in. They're made with similar materials and have similar ratings across the board. You'll have to compare and use your best judgment.
I also think there is a negligible difference between an 8mm rope to a 10mm rope or maybe even a little larger than that diameter.
I think the biggest difference between 8mm-10mm is packability and what device you can use. 10mm you can use dang near anything on the market, 8mm you have like 4 choices.

There are a few more options, all of these have heat resistant covers, mostly 8mm, but many have 10mm big brudders, or maybe sisters, I never looked, honest.
61A69734-DE22-4803-A142-681E36516C2D.jpeg

Back