• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux and Sterling HollowBlock

007hunter

I recently picked up some Oplux with intentions of using it to rappel with a Sterling Hollowblock as my backup. I cannot get it to grab using a French Prussic on the Oplux. No problems using it with Sterling HTP. So what gives? Is it the Diameter? Smoothness?

Now I need a plan B. Keep using the Hollowblock but with a Klemheist hitch? I've tested it to some extent and not as big of a fan. I thought of giving accessory cord a try to see if it grips better? Any other options?

I think the 5.5 mm Beal jammy cord grabs best. I cut a jammy and made a distel or use a complete one and use a prussic.

I use Oplux, but using a double rope/line with the hollowblock as auto block. No issues there, works like a charm. I use a double rope (60ft) over a branch above me, use both lines in the ATC and rappel at the end of the hunt. That way, I have a back up tether and don't have to fiddle around in low light/after dark.

I have the same set up. I weigh 225 lbs. and it grabs. Maybe you weigh more? Keep wrapping until it grips. If it's slowing your decent enough to set you down lightly on the ground, I'd call that a win too!

Last edited:
5.5 beal jammy or 6mm trc distel hitch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200621-095205_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200621-095205_Gallery.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 81
For me, the Sterling Autoblock tied in a French Prusic below a Grivel Master Mono works.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

5 wrap klemheist for me, testing at ground level. It is probably out of specifications though.

e6d90ece68ff2e10b7192d8ee3441e81.jpg
68cf8df02cea28b625f87821ff0ccede.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Even though a hollow block is supposed to work with 8mm rope at 6.8 mm it is a bit thick. A thinner TRC or Beal jammy are closer to the correct diameter for a friction hitch and they are stronger. The Beal jammy is the friction hitch rope that grabs the best because it is at the ideal diameter for 8mm rope. 70% of the diameter climbing rope is ideal or 5.6 mm.

The hollow block is about 85% of the width of the 8mm Oplux. The only reason it works as a friction hitch at all is the shape of the hollow block is unique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back