• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux and TRC Prusik

MNarrow

How much length of TRC should I start with to make a prusik on Oplux?

Did this compact version with 32”, tie a loop, do the wraps with the bend for the bridge, separate the two knots and put the loop to clip to through the two sections of rope.
AB848904-DD72-49D3-8574-6B48A42763E9.jpeg
Another way to tie, but needs more cord.
7FE3C821-5B29-472C-B8E0-E6AABAC7FBFE.jpeg

So, I made one and started with 3.5' of TRC. This will be for a hang on and not saddle.

View attachment 41379

Nice, don't be afraid to push TRC through the prusik so that your fisherman knots are not hanging up on your 'biner when you are in the saddle. I like my knots on the side more.

Another way is to capture the other side of the loop in the bend, Sliding Grapevine, helps prevent side loading the carabiner.
View attachment 41410

Is that a fishermen's knot but instead of just going around the two ropes to be joined, you tie it the same but wrap around the other parallel line as well. Pretty slick. I'm going to use a prusik on a fleece saddle build and might use this approach.

Is the trc the best friction hitch for oplux? I used a different 6mm cord and it bit way too hard for me.

Is the trc the best friction hitch for oplux? I used a different 6mm cord and it bit way too hard for me.

TRC bites hard too. I was using a 4 wrap distel and it slid a bit (when ropes were new) and so went to 5 wraps with TRC on Oplux. Now, it is hard to tend. I might go back to 4 wraps, but I don't like that you have to "wear your rope in" to make something safe. If it isn't safe from the jump, then I don't trust it.

I‘m finding the same thing, polyester, or nylon friction hitch covers work better on Oplux. One exception is the Technora core from Samson’s Bailout, being a single braid allows it to flatten, producing more surface area on the rope. It even works great on the 7mm custom rope of Bailout cover with a 5/16” Amsteel core, this is very flexible as well.
05FB70E4-459D-4C0A-B8EC-07B8291969C1.jpeg

I‘m finding the same thing, polyester, or nylon friction hitch covers work better on Oplux. One exception is the Technora core from Samson’s Bailout, being a single braid allows it to flatten, producing more surface area on the rope. It even works great on the 7mm custom rope of Bailout cover with a 5/16” Amsteel core, this is very flexible as well.
View attachment 41624

In addition to the Samson Bailout, care to mention any other nylon or polyester ropes of appropriate size to work on Oplux? I'm going to experiment in the off season. Thanks. Also, what's the hitch in your picture?

4 wrap Michoacán is the hitch, Beal Kevlar, Bluewater Titan cord and 6.5mm Dynamic cord, New England Ropes Tech cord and V-100 are some I have tried. Probably any accessory cord that is strong enough would also work. Some of the cords are stiff, but can be more flexible for better performing hitches by relaxing the cover. This is cutting one end of the cord, extract a little of the core, and reseal the end. I put a few stitches in each end to keep the cover slack in the middle. Just need to make sure the cover isn’t too baggy, and milk the slack to the middle each time before tying.

Back