• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux Rappel ATC device

Labonte.r

Hey guys ive been trying to comb through the oplux threads and also searching online im looking for a rappel device thats rated for the 8mm oplux. I want to play with this method for descent while one sticking. Id also like to keep it simple as possible for a newbie. Thanks in advance

In the same boat as you. What I've gathered is not much is rated down to 8mm. Alot of guys are using devices that aren't rated to 8mm at their own risk. Not sure if I'm ready to take on that risk myself though.

thanks hopefully someone can chime in and help. Looking at possibly the black diamond atc alpine might work?

Novice here so fact check me but I’ve been finding the same thing - limited mechanical descenders rated at 8 mm but rappel devices like Kong Oka/BD ATC/Kong Chuy/others don’t have rope size requirements so I went that route because I want my system in spec for piece of mind..

Good luck - curious to hear about what others are finding..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difficult to find but according to this my mad rock wingman can do 8mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most tubular ATCs are dual line rated for 8mm, I know the black diamond one I have is. I reached out to Kong to inquire about single line 8mm with the chuy. No response yet, but will post if I get one.

I'm not a mechanical fan so I'm looking into figure 8 types for 8mm rappelling. Stay safe folks.

Most tubular ATCs are dual line rated for 8mm, I know the black diamond one I have is. I reached out to Kong to inquire about single line 8mm with the chuy. No response yet, but will post if I get one.

I'm not a mechanical fan so I'm looking into figure 8 types for 8mm rappelling. Stay safe folks.

I agree id rather stay away from a mechanical myself and also found most to be rated to 8mm for dual line only not single.

I got this for 9mm HTP but looks like still in spec for 8mm

this looks promising cannot find anything on their website though as far as instructions.

The Grivel Master Mono Belay is rated down to 7.3mm single rope.
The Grivel Figure 8 (bent shape) is rated down to 7.8mm.
Coming soon to an online retailer near me. :sunglasses: :)

thanks Dan O replied before i saw your message so this might be the missing link for the oplux

excuse my lack of knowledge but whats the key differences between a figure 8 and the master mono as far as use pros and cons

Just two different ways to rappel. I haven't used a figure 8 in a long time, but did test several ATC style devices this year. All seemed to work about the same. I'm currently using a MadRock Safeguard and prefer that myself even though it is out of spec.

Dan how you climbing? What’s this I hear about a step with sewn aider.....

Dan how you climbing? What’s this I hear about a step with sewn aider.....
I try out different stuff all the time. I plan to practice 1-sticking over the off season and also SRT. Been using sticks with a prototype aider-friendly DoubleStep. More to come on that this week, but @onestringer already posted a picture of it on the forums here.

i hear you i really wanna practice single stick and rappel myself in offseason. ill have to search some posts for the step!

The Mammut Crag Light ATC is also rated down to 7.5mm, but I'm not sure on the single or double rope spec. It says "half and single ropes from 7.5 mm to 10.5 mm in diameter". I've been using it with single 8mm Oplux with an auto-block, and it seems to work ok.

Ever hear on the chuy, weather rated for 8mm single?

Back