• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux rappel rope with triangle quick link

wizard

I have a figure 8 eye tied on my rappel rope and would prefer to not have to pull 40’ of rope Through the eye come time to come out of the tree. Planning to use a climbing rated triangle quick link for a tangle free hook up. Currently have the rope girth hitched like the photo. Should I run it like this or just hook it through the eye? I’d prefer to keep the eye in place for now just in case I don’t like using the quick link. Any thoughts or suggestions would be Appreciated.
Thanks
Richard

Attachments

• image0 (Large).jpeg
    image0 (Large).jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 216
  • image1 (Large).jpeg
    image1 (Large).jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
I use a quick link just like that. I see no reason not too or change to anything else.

Run it through normally. Larksheads reduce rope strength. Saw a great infographic about it regarding climbing slings. I will see if I can find it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What advantage does using the larkshead on the quicklink afford to you?
f54e53585ae4fab45e97c99d4fa4ef33.jpg

What advantage does using the larkshead on the quicklink afford to you?
f54e53585ae4fab45e97c99d4fa4ef33.jpg

I figure the girth hitch would keep the triangle oriented in the proper direction because of the grab. My question for folks using a triangle is why wouldn't you use an oval?

I just run the triangle through my figure 8 bight and then the rope that’s around the tree. I don’t “tie” my triangle to the rope so that I can use it for other things. Never had a problem with triangle orientation if I make sure my rope isn’t twisted or anything when I put it on.

. My question for folks using a triangle is why wouldn't you use an oval?
My understanding is that you could possibly crossload a carabiner and the delta trainlge is just a better safer option. Maybe someone else can chime in for a more technical answer?

My understanding is that you could possibly crossload a carabiner and the delta trainlge is just a better safer option. Maybe someone else can chime in for a more technical answer?

That was my understanding that it had less cross loading capabilities. Also, [mention]DanO [/mention] sells two brands of triangles and no ovals so that was another reason I figured it was better lol.

Not suggesting this just stating what I do. My rappel rope is tied to a auto locking carabiner using a scaffold knot. I don't have the equipment to test the conditions, just experience using it for our application. What I've found is that it would be almost impossible to cross load the carabiner when using the scaffold knot. Even side loading is difficult beacuse of the down force applied and geometry of pull in a fall. That's just me though, you want to be safe....hunt on the ground.

If you want it tight to the quick link, then a scaffold knot will do that and is stronger than a larkshead/girth hitch (I believe a double wrap scaffold is nearly as strong as a figure 8). Or you can keep your non-constricting knot, attach normally, and use a castration band.

I had this set up on a Petzl GO quick link (oval shape), which is smaller, lighter, and the gate opens wider....and is rated the same. However, it is narrow enough that under heavy load the scaffold knot connection could pull the quick link through itself and become untied (this is why a scaffold should never be tied to "grasp" on a narrow or flexible object like a rope). You would think that the load would also tighten the wraps down at the same time enough to definitely prevent this, but this is not fully the case if you experiment with the knot. The force to pull through the wraps is greater than the force to prevent, and you can get the process started even by pulling hard with 2 hands.

If I was going to use a non-constricting knot with a castration band, then I would consider the GO connector.

Right now, I have the smaller Delta link (8 mm?) and a scaffold knot because I don't like castration bands. Works great.

Last edited:
I figure the girth hitch would keep the triangle oriented in the proper direction because of the grab. My question for folks using a triangle is why wouldn't you use an oval?

I'll cover this again in case you don't see my post above. I really wanted to use the oval Petzl Go screw link instead of the delta because the GO connector is smaller, lighter, and opens wider (and I like the look better). However, if you connect to the narrower GO connector with a poacher or scaffold knot, then it is obvious that even pulling hard by hand can make the end of the connector start to go inside the rope wraps (the first rope wrap that the connector touches is the last thing to be tightened by a pulling force). The fear is that with a short fall that generates 100s of pounds that if you pulled the GO connector inside the wraps that the knot would untie itself and you would fall.

An oval connector with a wider short side might work, but I don't think they could ever get as wide or secure as a delta...without becoming really huge and heavy.

Last edited:
If you want it tight to the quick link, then a scaffold knot will do that and is stronger than a larkshead/girth hitch (I believe a double wrap scaffold is nearly as strong as a figure 8). Or you can keep your non-constricting knot, attach normally, and use a castration band.

I had this set up on a Petzl GO quick link (oval shape), which is smaller, lighter, and the gate opens wider....and is rated the same. However, it is narrow enough that under heavy load the scaffold knot connection could pull the quick link through itself and become untied (this is why a scaffold should never be tied to "grasp" on a narrow or flexible object like a rope). You would think that the load would also tighten the wraps down at the same time enough to definitely prevent this, but this is not fully the case if you experiment with the knot. The force to pull through the wraps is greater than the force to prevent, and you can get the process started even by pulling hard with 2 hands.

If I was going to use a non-constricting knot with a castration band, then I would consider the GO connector.

Right now, I have the smaller Delta link (8 mm?) and a scaffold knot because I don't like castration bands. Works great.

Wow. I have been using the 7mm Petzl GO with a scaffold knot. Thanks for the info. Back to the drawing board for me. I don’t like the triangles. Too bulky. I might just go back to a figure 8 on a bight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back