• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux rope and a mechanical rappel

Newhunter1

SH Member
Ok, I have 52' of Oplux and would like to get a mechanical device that will allow me to rappel. The GriGri 2 is 8.5mm minimum and I'm hestitant. Anyone?

This may work , but if you break your neck trying this you will be own your own, being out of spec . Good luck be safe

Back it up with an auto block I do that with my mad rock safeguard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
This may work , but if you break your neck trying this you will be own your own, being out of spec . Good luck be safe

What may work? The Grigri... that’s 8.5mm min. I think the madrock safe guard is 8.1 for rigging and 8.5 for climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back it up with an auto block I do that with my made rock safeguard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ok. After looking at the safeguard I bought the last one at eastern outdoor. Now what is the auto block?

Auto block is a prussic tied differently. Basically 3-4 wraps around main line both loops to a carabinier clipped in to harness/lineman's loop

Auto block is a prussic tied differently. Basically 3-4 wraps around main line both loops to a carabinier clipped in to harness/lineman's loop

does it go above the safeguard and it is long enough to attach to the carabiner that is also attached to the safeguard and bridge? Or does it go below the safeguard?

does it go above the safeguard and it is long enough to attach to the carabiner that is also attached to the safeguard and bridge? Or does it go below the safeguard?

Below. Make sure that if you raise your leg, it is still low enough that it won’t jam in the Safeguard.

I understand the concept. However he does not have the safeguard. I have the cordage from dano or the oplux that I use to rappel down by using the scwabisch hitch. The safeguard is a belay device that can be used in conjunction with my friction hitch that will be now attached to on side of my lineman’s loop. With the madrock how does one operate the belay release. I think the handle release is on the right side and put my friction hitch too on the right side?

I have a figure 8 that I used years ago for rappelling. I’ll test that out at ground level. Either that or a trip to rei.

How do you get your girth hitched rope up top out of the tree?

that’s easy. My oplux is my tether. At hunting height I take a carabiner and hook it to my loop with 550 cord that is 30 feet long. At ground level I pull on my cord and it comes down.

I have used Beal 8mm dynamic rope with a GriGri and both a Madrock Lifeguard and Safeguard. They all worked fine and locked on the rope without an autoblock knot. Try it near the ground and see what you think. I now have enough confidence in them I even take my hand off the tag end of the rope. Test it yourself and decide if it is right for you. IMHO, these are FAR safer than any friction hitch I have tried.

I have used Beal 8mm dynamic rope with a GriGri and both a Madrock Lifeguard and Safeguard. They all worked fine and locked on the rope without an autoblock knot. Try it near the ground and see what you think. I now have enough confidence in them I even take my hand off the tag end of the rope. Test it yourself and decide if it is right for you. IMHO, these are FAR safer than any friction hitch I have tried.
An auto block is probably not necessary but it sure makes me feel better hanging in the air 30 feet on a rope that is thinner than recommended for my safeguard.

I'll have the safeguard on Tuesday...the friction hitches I'm using is getting old.

I also find it easier to modulate descent smoothly with the autoblock than the safeguard.
Did you post before that you hold the handle fully open on the safeguard and descend by pressing the autoblock knot?
Why not use an ATC instead of the safeguard since that is what you are using it as?

Did you post before that you hold the handle fully open on the safeguard and descend by pressing the autoblock knot?
Why not use an ATC instead of the safeguard since that is what you are using it as?
When I use it, it's also an ascender/progress capture. I also figure a device that will (but isn't guaranteed to) lock/catch plus a hitch that will also catch me is nice for safety. But honestly I don't rappel much currently.

ca7a725499dda339efb0ce95658a8aff.jpg

f1a467d5e263abee801b4fb60528d4a6.jpg

58a6ca57633ebfc4f59c5845c09674dc.jpg

Back