• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux Rope..... what are the advantages?

Buckhorn70

SH Member
I’ve seen a lot of talk about this Oplux Rope lately. What are the advantages over the standard ropes saddle hunters have been using? Will the Ropemans work with the Oplux?

There is a weight difference, but for me it was the reduction in bulk. I can daisy chain my OpLux 8.5’ LB, hang it on the side of my saddle and I don’t even know it’s there. The stock rope from the Kite stuck out and I could feel it swinging as I walked. Same with the tether, fits along with 3 squirrel steps in one of DanOs fleece pouches, with room to spare.

CF670275-7C8C-48F0-98CD-867BEAE34AB2.jpegD83E5C81-5C61-466B-B0C8-8697DFFE7CEB.jpegCF670275-7C8C-48F0-98CD-867BEAE34AB2.jpegD83E5C81-5C61-466B-B0C8-8697DFFE7CEB.jpeg

@Nutterbuster just sent me some 8mm rope (similar to OpLux) and when I compared to my 11mm lineman’s belt, I was floored at the difference in bulk. I’m not the kind of person to care that much about bulk, but it’s astonishing. My dump pouch went from bulging with 2 ropes and a webbing daisy, to 3/4 full with 3 ropes and a daisy. That’s crazy.

It's a small diameter, light-weight, flexible (as opposed to htp which is a stiff), strong , abrasion resistant r.ope. so it packs well and suits our purpose.

I switched my tether from the HSS safety rope to the oplux and it's a HUGE difference in bulk and flexibility

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Will the ropemans work on the ropes?

No
You have to go to the Kong Duck
I went to a Beal jammy and have been happy with getting rid of ropeman
d399b3062e9755d2c1e6a141310386c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A ropeman 2 is rated for 8mm rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most guys on here run a ropeman 1
Some don’t even know they make a 2
Yes he can use a 2
Hope he likes whatever he chooses

Ct rollnlock is also a good option for 8mm. I don't like the kong duck because you cant find any ratings anywhere about it. For all I know it will break at 2KN.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Does the Beal Jammy and carabiner setup adjust as easily as the Ropeman? Does it stick or slide easily on adjustments?

Does the Beal Jammy and carabiner setup adjust as easily as the Ropeman? Does it stick or slide easily on adjustments?

be76c8ff6eedf7dd4a93ca473ef70a61.jpg

This setup is just as easy as a ropeman. To adjust up just grab the tag end and pull up like a ropeman to lengthen just take slight pressure off and take 2 fingers and slide down.
I have 0 complaints so far.
I’m running same setup on my linesman belt as well.

To be fair, no knot slides AS easily as a mechanical ascender. There’s always a bit more sweat-equity involved with knots, although hitch tenders and pulleys can simulate the mechanical ascender with minimal loss in “easiness”. I run hitch tenders and they slide plenty easy when I need them to. The biggest thing is that ascenders cost way more than knots and tenders. It’s a cost/convenience differential.

Back